Drake II flapper

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by mfellows, Dec 11, 2012.

1. mfellows

mfellows New Member

I've submitted an email question to Toto, but in the meantime thought I might ask here since Terry seems to install quite a few of these. I installed a Drake II in April, 2012 and the tank (ST454E) contained a red flapper with a weight on the chain. I just bought another one yesterday (Dec, 2012), same exact model tank (ST454E) and it contains a gray flapper with no weight on the chain. Was there a design change, or is this a manufacturing error?
  2. stephenk

stephenk New Member

I also just bought a Drake II and it arrived yesterday. Grey flapper with no weight on mine. I would guess it's just a design change.

I installed it an it works fine.
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

They do have the two flappers.
  4. mfellows

mfellows New Member

Here's the response I got from Toto:

The original flappers used a float to help the flapper stay up. The new flappers do not require the float.
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

There's more than one way to skin the cat (as they used to say)...it's certainly less trouble to manufacture things with one less part to assemble. And, the float can't come off and get lodged in the waterway, either (not common, but could happen). Sounds like progress.