Drake/Drake II/Eco Drake

Users who are viewing this thread

Hedygs

Reaction score
So confusing! We are doing a total basement remodel and we are adding a small bathroom. I need to decide on a toilet and originally was considering AS Cadet 3 from the Big Box Store based on price but I am leery of using this. We have an older Toto Ultramax and love it but want to keep the cost of the toilet down so I was considering the Drake. While I prefer a one piece, I doubt the toilet will be used more then a couple times a month, would the Drake (if so which model) be a good alternative. We tend to be more contemporary in design as well so will the Drake fit that esthetic?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Hedy

Hedygs

Reaction score
I hate to respond to my own thread but I also considered the Aquia II. I often hear mixed reviews on this one but I'd like to hear what the experts think of this vs the Drake.

Also would the WSS204 fit the Aquia II or is the WSS114 a better fit?
TIA.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Performance wise, the Drake or the Aquia will be fine. They have a different look, so that will probably be the deciding factor.
The Drake II is nice too.

Last edited:

Hedygs

Reaction score
Does one or the other do a better job of solid waste removal without streaking? I am thinking I have read that the Aquia is poorer in this regard. The price is approximately the same I think. I am thinking of using either the Drake or the Aquia II, as long as either would work in a basement application.

Also would the WSS204 fit the Aquia II or is the WSS114 a better fit for the Aquia?

TIA.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They all will flush solids fine. Low-flow toilets don't clean the bowl of skid marks (this is only a problem with some people on some diets) as well as the old ones that used maybe 5x as much water. Of those three, the Drake II with the Double-Cyclone bowl wash would be best for bowl washing. It also comes standard with their super smooth, special glaze, CEFIONTECT, which helps keeping things from sticking, so it washes off easier.

Hedygs

Reaction score
I beieve the Drake II is only available as ADA height which I don't really want. Is that correct?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I beieve the Drake II is only available as ADA height which I don't really want. Is that correct?

Height to the top of the seat is nominally 17.25", which is a couple of inches shorter than a typical kitchen chair or couch. I was wrong about CEFIONTECT, it is available with or without.

Sevenfeet

Reaction score
I just had our first Toto toilet installed in our kid's bathroom. We chose the Eco Drake for three reasons.

1. It's wider trap way will make it less likely that my special needs son can clog it with toys like he did the last inferior toilet (a Briggs from the early '90s that came with the house).

2. The shape of the tank matched the previous Briggs toilet which adequately covered wallpaper imperfections behind it.

3. It satisfied my wife's desire for a functional 1.28gpf toilet that was high quality but not extremely expensive.

But we elected not to do a more expensive Drake II or even getting Sanigloss on this model. I will admit that this model doesn't clean the bowl like the double cyclone models. But it flushes nicely and the kids like it..and it's not broken like the toilet it replaced. The next toilet to be replaced will be the guest bathroom toilet which is the only one on the ground floor of the house and therefor in high use. It's another Briggs toilet but this time the choice will be a higher end Toto...one with double-cyclone and Sanigloss.

Last edited:

Hedygs

Reaction score
I am leaning toward the Eco Drake as well. The bathroom will be in the basement and used infrequently. Mainly when we are downstairs watching a movie. I'm most worried about bowl streaking because it is not a double cyclone flush but I am hoping it will meet our needs nevertheless.

RedHouse

Reaction score
hedygs,
I actually think you should go with the Cadet 3. The cadet 3 is as plug resistant as the Drake, yes its not mantinence free, but due to the infrequency of uses to this toilet I don't think you really need a Drake.

Hedygs

Reaction score
Oh. Just drives me nuts that I read so many conflicting reports on all toilets. I was thinking Eco Drake then I read that some found the older Drake cleaned the bowl better then the Eco. Now you are suggesting the Cadet 3 (which I had all but eliminated). LOL! Eventually I'll order something I'm sure. I know I love our old Ultramax 1.6. Rarely leaves streaks and just as few plugs.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Folks, all this discussion about streaking is pointless. Streaking is a result of a poor diet. Too much, too rich foods result in loose, sticky stools. So if you have a problem with streaking, blame your diet not the toilet. For the occasional streak we all can get, a quick brushing is all that is needed. I have also found dropping 3 or 4 facial tissues in the bowl then flushing will often clear them up without brushing. This is not to say Sanigloss and/or the double cyclone models are not valuable, but way too much blame is put on the toilet rather than the diet.

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gary, your point is well taken. I don't think the intent here is to "blame" the toilet rather than the diet, but to say that this is the reality, and which toilet will handle that reality best. In general people prefer to fix the symptoms rather than the problems (i.e. 95% of prescription drugs, but that's a different war). While it would be great if all people had good diets, we don't. Even if we choose to have a good diet ourselves, we will still have guests who use our toilet, and its embarrassing for both host and guest when the brown swirlies happen, so minimizing them as much as possible is a reasonable requirement.

In that regard, I recommend the Drake II w/ sanigloss and double cyclone. Should basically match the performance of your Ultramax at a bit cheaper of a price. I researched for a long time before choosing this model for my house, definitely seems like the best way to go in the price range.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like the Double Cyclone too for that reason. Unless you go pre 90's you will have to clean it anyway,
I sell a ton of the Eco Drakes with 1.28, standard glaze, and a few with the SG (CEFIONTECT) bowl.
Those come in standard or ADA heights.
The Double Cyclone bowls are all the taller bowls and come standard with CEFIONTECT in the whites.
It's a matter of adding on features and when to stop.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks