drains/vents help

Users who are viewing this thread

barneyfife

Reaction score
Hi all,

Attached is an edge on view of a room off my garage. There used to be a toilet and sink in there, but the previous owner removed them for whatever reason. Everything is still connected below floor level to a 3" waste drain, which ties into the main waste drain, then to the septic tank.

He sawed off the 2" vent stack, and what I am assuming was a sink drain, flush with the floor, and just put some insulation in the holes. I would like to put the toilet and sink back in there.

The toilet is easy, because the ring and everything is still there, so just a matter of buying and bolting down a new toilet

I know that is where the vent stack was because there is still a hole directly above in the interior ceiling where it went out through the roof.

I assume the last 2" hole was where a sink or washing machine drain was.

I would like to put a utility sink and toilet back in, so what is the best way to hook up the sink. Tie it into the vent stack with a Tee, and cap off the old drain, or just run a new vent stack, and drain the sink through what looks like the old drain?

Apologies if not explained very well, but hope picture helps. Anymore info needed please advise

Thank you
Barney drains.jpg

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The sink needs to be plumbed with a p-trap draining into a sanitary tee, with the sink's vent going up and drain going down. The vent can turn horizontal to tie into the vent stack once it is at least 42" above the floor.

If the piping is the way you portray it, the toilet will not be properly vented, but it will work.

Last edited:

barneyfife

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. The piping is the way I portrayed it, going out to the septic on the left side of the drawing.

Might I ask why the toilet is not properly vented?
Should I just cap off the old drain, or use it for a clean out?

Thank you
Barney

MikePlummer

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
if you keep the 2" sink drain and it remains 2" till the point of connection of the sinks trap arm then you don't need the other vent between them, as the sink will be wet venting the toilet

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks