draining attic a/c, dehumidifier

Users who are viewing this thread

Taylor

Reaction score
Apologies for demonstrating the breadth and depth of my ignorance....I'd like to install a high-efficiency dehumidifier in the attic to dehumidify bedrooms (cut down on use of AC in humid-but-not-hot summer nights). This can potentially produce 100 gals/day (Santa Fe dehumidifier) so I need somewhere to send that water. Obvious candidate is wherever air handler sends water....?

I'm blushing as I admit that I do not know how an air handler gets rid of condensate in an attic. In my case there's a drain pan and a PVC hose going to outside gutter, but I was advised that this is backup only and call the techs if I see any water coming out of there.

In any case I don't like the air leakage through that pipe to outside. I also learn that condensate is highly corrosive since it picks up copper ions from the coil, so draining it into the gutter system would not be a good idea.

So I am thinking of a 1" PVC DWV line down to the basement, either into the drain line to the sewer (worries about corroding CI sewer line) or into a sump pit. And a vent pipe up through the roof. And a U-trap (?) to stop air leaks.

Does anyone do it this way say in new construction?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks