Drainfield septic system question

Users who are viewing this thread

Greenwillow

Reaction score
I'm shopping for a new home. I've found a house I like, but I keep feeling uneasy about the septic system.
New Mexico - the topsoil is fairly sandy. The area is old volcano, though there are no volcanic outcrops in the 4 block surrounding area that I am aware of.
The house has its own well and septic system. The septic system runs from the middle of the house out into the backyard about 40 feet. The ground over the area is raised 6-12 inches above the level of the rest of the yard. The width of the raised mound is 4-6 feet.
So, not only does it mound awkwardly split the backyard in half, the sellers are draining their washing machine water straight onto the ground. We asked about that and they said it was to water the little nearby garden - just being ecologically thoughtful.
I've never seen a septic mound like this low before, nor placed so badly so can't help but wonder if the system was put in by someone who was not experienced.
Finally, if we make a bid, it will be contingent on a satisfactory inspection report. I'm thinking I might want to make a special request for someone expert in septic systems to take a look, but I'm not sure that person would be able to discover anything.
The seller claims they have the tank emptied every two years.
Thoughts?sep

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I know what a mound system is, I'm just not sure this is supposed to be a mound system.
I did not know what a mound system is. When I read about it, it seemed to meet your description, and I suspected that the reason for yours was because your underlying soil was permeable to the aquifer.

Reach4

Reaction score
I did not know what a mound system was, but when I read about it, it seemed to match your description. I suspect yours is the situation where they are trying to protect the aquifer by providing a place for the biofilm to act before your effluent reaches the aquifer
I'm just not sure this is supposed to be a mound system.
What do you mean by that? Are you saying that you think a mound system should not be needed for this situation, or are you saying that you doubt this was intended to be a mound system?

Greenwillow

Reaction score
I did not know what a mound system was, but when I read about it, it seemed to match your description. I suspect yours is the situation where they are trying to protect the aquifer by providing a place for the biofilm to act before your effluent reaches the aquifer What do you mean by that? Are you saying that you think a mound system should not be needed for this situation, or are you saying that you doubt this was intended to be a mound system?

I'm saying that the raised aspect of the soil might indicate is a mound system, but I am not sure it is. It doesn't make sense from my experience, but my experience is all in an area where front can go down six feet in a winter. I guess what I am worried about is that the pipes were all laid on the ground and then soil was mounded over the pipes (for the needed insulation from frost). This would mean I couldn't level out the yard. It also could mean the drain field has been dug out due to problems. I am mystified.

This is the best photo I have. The red circled area is roughly the drain field area. The yellow highlighted, circled in blue, is where the tank is buried -right next to the patio slab
drainfield.jpg

Greenwillow

Reaction score
I don't see a mound. How far below the surface is the top of septic tank?
I have the "mound" circled in red. If you can start at the left hand side of the circled area, you can see the mound starting. As I said, it's +/- a one foot bump or mound over the entire thing.
I don't know how deep the tank is buried.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
At the very least the top of the trench is going to be about 1 foot below the top of the tank. If the water is high or if there is some other unsuitable caristic such as shallow rock the system may have been put in shallow. I would probe the tank to see how deep it is below the surface. When the hole was dug and the tank was set in the hole, some dirt was dispolaced by the tank. also the trench may be a gravel trech usually about 3 foot wide and 1 foot deep. It displaces that much soil and it has to go somewhere. Most installers would feather it out so there is not a hump over the tank. The only way you will know is to probe the tank and maybe the trench. I have a tile probe but it does not work too good in hard dry ground. You can always bring in a few loads of soil to shape the yard up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks