Drainage issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Austin83

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new here, and I'm in the process of purchasing a new (to me) home. The inspection revealed that rain water was flowing down the neighbors yard towards the house. The inspection showed very minor upheaval in the center of the foundation possibly due to the poor drainage. He suggested adding a french drain to prevent any foundation issues, but of course $2500 for a french drain is a little tough while purchasing a new home. What about digging a channel that would allow the water to flow naturally towards the street? I've included a photo from the house we are looking to purchase, and a nearby neighbor who dug a channel in his yard. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

house-1.jpg

house2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Drick

In the Trades
Reaction score
The original builders of those houses did one craptastic job of siting the houses for proper drainage. Reminds me of my own place :) Anyway, digging a drainage swale will work fine as long as you have a slope toward the street. Another thing you should look at are those downspouts. Extend them away from the foundation and in a direction where the natural slope of the property will continue to carry the water away from the foundation.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
+1 on your own downspouts being the larger culprit. A swale need not be as ugly as the one you posted and can be made much more gentle. The effectiveness of the swale though will depend on the pitch and what material is under it. I suspect that the material that close to the house would still let the water soak down to the foundation.

I suggest a french drain under a gentle swale for a belt and suspenders approach. Line the bottom of the swale with clay material if as I suspect there is coarse builder's sand.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks