Drainage Industries 2" in-line check valve

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by PaulGray, May 10, 2006.

1. PaulGray

PaulGray New Member

I am replacing my existing sump pump with a sewage pump (I need the greater pumping capacity). Although the pump will be processing ground water (no waste) I want to install the check valve horizontally. That way, if it picks up a piece of gravel or something it will not jam the valve.

My question is, can I install a Drainage Industries (DI) 2" full flow in-line check valve horizontally? The current valve is installed vertically. I bought the valve from ******* & it did not come with any info.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

A piece of gravel should not jam the valve no matter what its orientation is. But since it is full flow, it must be a swing type check valve, and if so, then it can be horizontal as long as the hinge is on the top.
  3. PaulGray

PaulGray New Member

Great, I appreciate the response. It is indeed a swing type check valve. The manufacturer of the sewage pump recommends a horizontal installation, so I will go with that orientation and ensure that the hinge is on top.
  4. PaulGray

PaulGray New Member

Free flow vs. Full flow check valve

One quick followup question. Is there a difference between a free flow check valve and a full flow check valve. My installation instructions call for a free flow valve - I am assuming I can use a full flow in-line check valve?