Drain Welll Tank annually?

Users who are viewing this thread

dpw-ct

Reaction score
I have a well and 4 year old tank. We tend to get a fair amount of sediment in our lines and the water is mildly hard.

Should I be draining the tank periodically?

Should I drain the electric water heater as well?

If so, how often should this be done, and any special procedure to use

Reach4

Reaction score
I would drain the pressure tank from the spigot at the base of the tank after turning off the pump. If you use a hose, monitor for solids coming out. If you use a tub, release most of the water via a regular drain first. Do the last gallon maybe into the tub. If you see much debris when you do so, you know that you should do it more often than you did it last time. I did that into a tub for the first time recently and collected some rusty looking water. That surprised me, because I was thinking that things were self cleaning. I figured the solids would go with the flow. It would appear that some of it did not make it up the piping previously, and stayed low. Things vary.

Water heater draining? I prefer to do a little flushing too. It does not matter if I take extra time. If I were paid by the hour, then I could not afford myself. Here is my simpler take on it: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/rusty-water-from-heater.63551/#post-471160

Here is a longer-winded version:
https://terrylove.com/forums/ind...as-hot-water-tank-flushing.62015/#post-459209

It is interesting if there is a way to see what comes out. My first cleaning brought out a lot of little rocks and gunk. That was accumulated in maybe 10 years before I put in the whole-house filtering.

I went about 2 years on my second simple flush I did as part of well sanitizing. In sanitizing, I wanted to dump the non-chlorinated water anyway. My first simple simple flush was about a year after the big cleaning, which was one that got the rocks and sand. My filters don't allow rocks and sand now. But still, after 2 years, I got some discolored water out of the WH drain. I drained into a plastic tub so that I could monitor, and I used a siphon to empty most of the tub.

Annual might be a good frequency, but every 2 years will put you well ahead of most people. If you do it, take pictures. You might post the more interesting ones. You could take the pictures and decide not to post.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks