Drain/Waste Pipe Sleeve

Users who are viewing this thread

WBB

Reaction score
I am cutting into a soil drain (4") to install a basement toilet. The sleeves I've seen are rubber with large hose clamps. Are there any other types that are better and do I need to put some type of sealant on the ends of the cast iron drain before installing?

Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
proflex.jpg

As plumbers, we normally use a shielded coupling, a metal jacket to prevent shifting of the pipes.
No glue is needed with these.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

Whoa! How are you piping this toilet? If you don't know the proper means to connect the insert fitting, do you know how to pipe the toilet properly?

WBB

Reaction score
I'm cutting out a section of cast iron pipe (4") and inserting a PVC sleeve with steel reinforced rubber boots on each end.

Nate R

Reaction score
That's not what he means, I believe. Do you know the correct fittings and venting setup to use?

WBB

Reaction score
Yes, Nate, I know the correct fittings, pipe and sizes for everything. I submitted the original question because a plumber that I know (not a master) said it was fine to use an all rubber "T" underground, but a master plumber that I talked to said not to use an all rubber "T" underground because they can collapse eventually under pressure. Some municipalities, in fact, have outlawed them. Instead I should use a PTC "T" and couple it to the existing underground pipe with metal reinforced rubber boots as Terry stated above.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Don't use an All Rubber Tee anywhere! Actually, I'm fairly certain you'd want a wye and not a Tee.

WBB

Reaction score
Lakee911, I definitely will not use an all rubber boot anywhere. And yes, I meant a wye, not a tee. Thanks for the help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks