Drain washing machine on first floor to laundry tub in basement?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by carlmm, Jul 29, 2013.

1. carlmm

carlmm New Member

Would this be feasible?

There is a laundry tub/sink in the basement directly under the area where the washer and dryer will be placed on the first floor. Could I run a 2" drain line into the laundry tub? If so, would the drain from the washer to the laundry tub need the normal P trap and venting? (The laundry tub has a trap and is vented.)

Apologies in advance if this has been discussed elsewhere. I looked and didn't see anything on point.

Thanks!
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

You have to be careful how you do this...the outlet of the WM must be within the specs, or it will just siphon itself dry during the fill. Generally, no, I don't think you'd get away with this. You may be able to tie it into the drain of the sink, IF it is large enough, but you'd also need to vent it properly. See what the pros have to say about this, as I'm not up on all of the codes, but the physics are clear...you'd need a standpipe for it so it didn't siphon.
  3. leejosepho

leejosepho DIY scratch-pad engineer

That depends upon what you might mean by "feasible" since it certainly would not pass an inspection. To do this properly, you need to run a drain line with trap down to a drain line of at least equal size, then run a vent on up to another vent line or out through the roof. But for a temporary drain while getting that done, a piece of 1-1/4" flex hose might do just fine as long as you fasten each end to something to keep it high enough for the washer and the other end inside the sink.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

No.

804.1 All plumbing fixtures or other receptors

receiving the discharge of indirect waste pipes shall be
    approved for the use proposed and shall be of such
    shape and capacity as to prevent splashing or flooding
    and shall be located where they are readily accessible
    for inspection and cleaning. No standpipe receptor for
    any clothes washer shall extend more than thirty (30)
    inches (762 mm), nor less than eighteen (18) inches
    (457 mm) above its trap. No trap for any clothes
    washer standpipe receptor shall be installed below the
    floor, but shall be roughed in not less than six (6)
    inches (152 mm) and not more than eighteen (18)
    inches (457 mm) above the floor.

Below the floor would also include any floor below.

Just install plumbing for the washer as per code and you will be fine.
  5. carlmm

carlmm New Member

Thanks guys!
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

However, it he just stuck a pipe through the floor into the laundry sink and hooked the washer drain over the top of it, all of the reasons for NOT having a long riser or trap under the floor would be invalid.
  7. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

And that would be called an indirect waste.
  8. carlmm

carlmm New Member

That's sort of what I was thinking . . . but I want to comply with the local municipal code. I suppose that I'll err on the side of caution.
  9. Joe Six Pack

Joe Six Pack New Member

Sort of like a rain gutter?
    Would taht work the for shower or tub to?
    How buout a kicthen sikn? can I rain gutter atht too?
  10. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

I once had a customer who wanted to connect his tub to a 3/4" pipe dropping into the basement. I told him if he did it, the tub would such anything within five feet of the tub down the drain, including his kids.