drain slope question - UPC

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve-C

Reaction score
Hello - I'm a little confused about the 1/8-1/4" per foot slope rule for waste pipes. My understanding is that the UPC rule for waste pipes carrying solids is generally 1/4"/ft minimum (or vertical). What about pipes from showers, sinks, or clothes washers? Can they slope after the vent at more than 1/4"/ft, say 45 degrees or any angle up to vertical? This is probably a dumb question but I haven't found a clear explanation.
Thanks.
Steve

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
They can slope at 11 1/4, 22 1/2, 45, 60, or 90 degrees, because they make fittings at those angles, but you can use intermediate slopes by combining fittings. SO to answer your question, as long as it has the specified minimum slope, (and the minimum varies according the the pipe diameter), any slope is acceptable.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks