Drain removal question

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by jjohns29, Jul 31, 2011.

1. jjohns29

jjohns29 New Member

Does anyone have an idea on how to remove a drain like the attached pic? Sorry if this might sound like a dumb question, but I've tried the obvious and it just spins.

drain.jpg
  2. Jerome2877

Jerome2877 In the Trades

Hold it up and use a phillips screw driver to loosen the screw that holds it in place.
  3. jjohns29

jjohns29 New Member

hmmm... holding it up and looking beneath reveals no phillips head screws to loosen. It only lifts probably 1/2 inch at most and had to lay my head on tub floor to look beneath. I keep thinking I should be able to take a pair of channel locks and hold the "base" while using another pair to loosen the knob on the top, but that that isn't working either.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Hold the outside of it with a pair of Channelocks, and unscrew the knob. Then you will see the slot on top of the center post to remove the drain part.
  5. jjohns29

jjohns29 New Member

Thanks HJ, I got the top knob off per the channel locks suggestion. My next question is, how do I remove the secondary silver ring to allow me to get to drain post to remove it. There is a washer that is round with a flat side on the inside that looks like it should slip off over the top, but it's not giving. Any ideas.

thanks. Here is a pic of where I am in the progress.

drain2.jpg
  6. jjohns29

jjohns29 New Member

I got it. I attached the channel locks to the brass center post and gave it a tug and it loosened, then screwed all the way out. thanks for the advice.