Drain question: new utility sink + washing machine drain

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by brownetowne, Jun 26, 2011.

1. brownetowne

brownetowne New Member

I am replacing a utility sink in my basement near the washer / dryer. The old setup had the washer drain line empty into the utility sink basin. As part of the project, I would like to plumb the washer drain directly into the plumbing. Two questions:

1. *What's my best drain option for both the utility sink and the washer?

2. *Something I liked about draining into the sink was the additional lint catch wire mesh sock that I could dispose of 2-3 times per year. If I plumb into the line, is there something that would allow an interchangeable lint filter?

The existing setup is fairly simple —*a single trap that drains into a main stack. I'd upload the photo, but I seem to be having problems with that feature of this forum...
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The sink may be connected to a 1½" drain line. This is not adequate for a washing machine directly draining, and is not up to most codes
  3. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

There challenges are that the washer will require a 2" drain and the traps from the washer and sink must be vented through the roof.

Assuming you will need to run a new drain line into the building sewer, you will need to get a plumbing permit from the city and have the work inspected by the local plumbing inspector when it is ready.

You can post a photo it's easiest to have it hosted on another web site and use their url.
  4. brownetowne

brownetowne New Member

browntowne1.jpg

Plumbing in basement
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2011
  5. brownetowne

brownetowne New Member

thanks all for the replies.

this is the current setup.

I know I need to install new valves for the utility, but I have no idea where to start on the washer drain —*can it just be an addition to the sink drain after the trap?

thanks!
  6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

It would look something like this

[​IMG]
  7. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Terry's is a perfect example of how it can be done.

Luckily, it appears that you have an existing vent.

You must have a separate sanitary tee in the drain stack for each of the 2 fixtures, with the sink tee directly above the laundry tee.
    The sink and the laundry standpipe must each have their own individual trap.
  8. plumber2011

plumber2011 Expert Plumber

Brownetowne,

Is there a kitchen sink above this? If so, check and see if the kitchen sink drains into the pipe going to the sink drain in the basement. If so, let us know as that will change our recommendations a bit, OK?

Back to you...
  9. brownetowne

brownetowne New Member

Thanks for the recommendations, all.

I made some headway last night after realizing I should re-route the water lines to one side of the basement window. Not ready to post and show quite yet, because that phase of the project isn't done yet.

More to come tonight though.

I'll post a picture with my idea of what needs to go where.

Thanks!
  10. plumber2011

plumber2011 Expert Plumber

Hi Brownetowne...

You didn't answer my question about your kitchen drain? Please let us know if the kitchen sink from above drains into the cast iron drain pipe serving the basement sink, OK?

Back to you...
  11. Multibeast

Multibeast New Member

Can someone explain if there is any specific height to where the washer drain vent connects to the main vertical vent in this photo (near all the blue outlet boxes)? I am building a half-wall laundry area and would like to keep the wall as low as possible, hence hiding the connection in the wall. Thanks
  12. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

By code, if I'm understanding your question, the re-vent must be 42" or 6" above the flood plane, whichever is higher. The flood plane would be the top of the stand pipe, since if there was a clog below, it could rise to the top of that. Also note, that once a vent, always a vent, or once a drain, always a drain. IOW, you can't vent into a drain unless you re-vent it properly.
  13. outdoorguy25

outdoorguy25 New Member

Washer Wall box

I know this is a somewhat of an older topic, but is there a code requirement for how far up the wall box has to be? I've got a window at 40.5 and I was hoping to attach the wall box under the window.
  14. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

There is a code requirement on the min/max length of the standpipe (the vertical above the trap). Then, you have the depth of the trap, which is really your limiting factor (well, you have to have enough room to install the sanitary T on the drain line, too). I don't remember the exact numbers (and it may change based on which set of codes you use where you live).
  15. christoff

christoff New Member

ive installed this setup, and the wife doesn't like the way it looks so, she would like it all hidden behind the washer. my question is how low can i put the box and standpipe so the operation is still correct? it's about 43 inches up now.i would like it at about 30 inches or so. thanks