Drain pipe too high for small pedestal sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Natalieblueeyes

Reaction score
We think the sink drain pipe in the wall is too high for our small pedestal sink, but wanted to find out if anyone has any ideas.

The pop-up drain will not open completely because the bottom of the faucet "tail piece" (or whatever it is called) hits on the top of drain pipe.

The base of our pedestal sink is not open all the way in the back. There is a 2" piece across the back of the base right where the p-trap connected to the drain pipe should come into the pedestal base.

The drain pipe is at 20" in the wall. If it were at 18", it would be just fine. The pop-drain would open fully and nothing blocking the pipes.

Is there anything we can do other than lowering the drain pipe 2" in the wall?

Thanks for your help.

Natalie

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It depends...the rod on the popup can be cut if it is sticking down below the clamp much. If that would solve the problem, get out the hack saw. This assumes that the p-trap is installed properly and isn't trying to drain uphill.

Natalieblueeyes

Reaction score
Hi,
I was able to resize one picture -- hope it shows you enough. The p-trap connected to the drain hits right at the piece of the pedestal sink base. (We haven't cut the drain pipe yet.)

If the drain pipe was lower (even by 1"), it would work.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Natalie

Attachments

• drain pipe and base.jpg
    drain pipe and base.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 817

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
It's not really clear to me what the problem is... Is the trap in the picture aligned so that the drain falls directly into it? If so, can you put the drain into the trap and take another picture? Or does the drain (from the sink) drop down the middle of the pedestal? If so, can you run the trap under the little crosspiece?

Natalieblueeyes

Reaction score
The drain for the sink drops down the middle of the sink base. The trap is too high to fit under the cross piece and connect with the sink drain. The trap hits right at the cross piece.

(Thanks for looking at my picture -- sorry it isn't better.)

Natalie

Mikey

Reaction score
It looks (from the picture) as though if you remove the trap from the drain, you could stick it under the crosspiece and then reattach it to the drain. The U in the trap would then straddle the crosspiece.

If this isn't the case, then one solution might be to raise the sink. Find some attractive base (marble, maybe? -- something to match the floor, maybe?) an inch or so thick to set the pedestal on.

What's the pedestal made of?

Last edited:

Natalieblueeyes

Reaction score
I think that is just the angle that I took the picture. The cross piece is right in the wrong place and the u part of the trap won't fit under it.

Is there anything that we could attach to the p-trap to lower it and get it under the cross piece? or does that just create problems?

Natalie

Mikey

Reaction score
Is there anything that we could attach to the p-trap to lower it and get it under the cross piece? or does that just create problems?
I think the answers are no and yes, but it's time to wait for a pro plumber to comment. Maybe there's a deeper trap available that would work. Absent that, I'd be thinking seriously about eliminating the little crosspiece or raising the pedestal.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

Many times you can rotate the drain so the rod is not above the trap and the lift rod will still operate it after bending the flat clevis piece slightly sideways.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks