Drain Pipe Coming Up Through The Floor of Shower

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by abovethewake, Oct 27, 2008.

1. abovethewake

abovethewake New Member

We are buying a home that was built in the 1975, is single story and sits on a concrete slab. The drain pipe of one of the showers is sticking up through the floor of the shower. The shower is fiberglass and the drain pipe does not have a grate on it. It looks to be 2" ABS. Anyone know a good, simple way to fix this?
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Could you post a picture of what you have?
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipe

cutting it off will solve the symptom. The real question, and maybe problem, is why it is sticking up out of the floor.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If they didn't bed the fiberglass shower pan in something solid (like mortar), over the years, it could have flexed and gradually, the floor sagged while the drain line stayed where it was and is now sticking up into the drooping pan. For this to happen, you'd be breaking the glass in the fiberglass, and it loses much of its strength, gets that crazed look, and could start to leak if it doesn't end up breaking. Fiberglass can't handle repeated flexure...you need to have it supported.
  5. abovethewake

abovethewake New Member

Thanks for replying. I have a picture, but, I don't know how I can attach it. Any pointers on getting that done?
  6. abovethewake

abovethewake New Member

I did not see any cracks, even tiny ones, in the floor.
  7. abovethewake

abovethewake New Member

8. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

To upload a picture click on the paper clip on the post reply screen.
  9. abovethewake

abovethewake New Member

Picture of Drain

I have attached a picture of the drain. Thanks again!

Attached Files: