drain on old pedestal sink

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by jboatman333, Nov 12, 2004.

1. jboatman333

jboatman333 New Member

I am trying to remove the actual drain piece that is inserted into the sink. This is a cast iron that is about 70 years old. It has been reglazed and the person that did it this did not put tape around the metal drain piece. I can't get it out. I don't know whether is unscrews or has to be hammered out. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would appreciate it. :confused:

here are some pictures ...

http://www.glasspipes.org/Images/UserImages/Img36573_DSCN1269.JPG
    http://www.glasspipes.org/Images/UserImages/Img36574_DSCN1268.JPG
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  2. LonnythePlumber

LonnythePlumber Plumber, Contractor, Attorney

Remove Rubber

Dig the rubber washer out. Usually we then bump the drain out but you may want to twist first to lessen damage to the top. Your new drain may not cover the part they didn't coat.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

sink

I am not sure if it was reglazed or just painted, but to minimize damage to the finish you should try to cut the bond between the sink and the drain, possibly with a sharp knife. Use a thin chisel to remove the metal washer on the bottom and then peel the rubber gasket out. You may have to pound the drain fitting out because quite often rust has built up around the inside and will hold it firmly in place.