Drain locations for channel drains

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
These drains can easily be placed anywhere you like in a shower renovation. The key is in proper position of the rough in.

If you need a high output shower drain maybe on with multiple waste outlets is best. Some showers require two or three drains. Here is a way to gang them together.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
My Shower Grate Shop. Compression drain tight to the bench

We had the luxury of building the bench out so the install was a little easier...

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
I have spent some time researching drain placements and any code restrictions and have found very little information.

The national Plumbing Code 2005 (Canada) makes no reference to this. Neither does our 2006 BC Building code. I'm having a hard time tracking down any America code books and am wondering if there is by chance an online copy to the Universal Building Codes and the Universal Plumbing Codes.

Does anyone know where I might find these?

Thank You.

JW

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
IAPMO is in the business of SELLING code books. I am not aware of the UPC being available on line.

The UPC doesn't say much: 411.6 "...the floor shall slope uniformly from the sides to the drain at not less than 1/4" per foot.( not more than 1/2" per foot) "

I would interpret that that a channel drain is ok in any location as long as the floor slopes to the drain.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Thanks Jimbo.

That covers now my Canadian codes and the Universal Building Code - in the United States is there any other Plumbing Codes to look out for?

I'm sure I have seen "Universal Plumbing Codes" mentioned in the past.

I think some new changes are coming next year for these Universal Building Codes and the book is being reprinted for 2012. Have you heard this as well?

JW

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I referenced the Universal Plumbing Code. California has a code book based closely on the UPC, with amendments and the infamous 'matrices'. Many states adopt the UPC. Probably an equal number of states adopt the International Plumbing Code ( IPC). Massachusetts has their own code, as do I believe, New York City and Chicago. Los Angeles is subject to the California Plumbing Code, but has tweaked it so much that they have their own book. There are other codes, I believe, as well. Then you get into the Universal Mechanical Code, Universal Building Code, Southern Code, etc! Makes your head spin. Don't even think about the NFPA with NEC, Life Safety Codes, Fire Codes, etc@!!

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Jimbo - you gave me a headache with that post of yours...

There is so much to learn and every city is a little different it seems. I understand there will be some great revisions to the ADA guidelines that will make these curbless showers I love to build that much easier to pass inspection. I'm learning lots about different types of installs and of late been studying commercial installs. Specifically Hospitals and Care Homes.

Last edited:

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
johnfrwhipple:

ADA used to have a maximum of 1/2 inch lip on a handicapped shower (I wont swear that is still correct)
Are we talking about the UNIFORM PLUMBING CODE?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
ADA SINKS by Quick Drain USA - People's Choice Award 2010

Hey Shacko. I'm referring to the ADA guidelines and specs. I know the wording for these specs has been changed and because of these changes in the "wording" many new options will open up.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
A recent shower conversion we did in West Vancouver. This shower was built with a standard point drain and we installed a long channel drain from ACO. The client request that we install the drain tight to the wall but we could not do to the massive support beam below. It is important to remember that often beams are sized to the minimum needed so do not let your contractor, GC, builder, framer, plumber, husband or wife cut into a support beam....

Drain locations, recessed down lights, ceiling fans and such should be planned out carefully when building a new home or extensive renovation to ensure when it comes time to install the rough ins, drains and lights etc that the end "Look" can be achieved.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Side Outlet Linear Drain

This was a tricky install but worth the effort. In the end I had to customize the drain to make the install work.

JW

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Curbless Shower with Steam

So far the demolition is complete, a new compression drain set, the floor heating layed and all of that scratch coated and waiting for waterproofing on Monday.

Last edited:

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Opening the doors to new designs and larger showers - Side Outlet Linear Drains

Side out linear drain install

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Can you even use a non metal drain in commercial work?

Normally it depends on the building. IF it is not firerated and NOT over 3 stories tall so you can use a plastic DWV system, then you could use it.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
quote; Can you even use a non metal drain in commercial work?

Normally it depends on the building. IF it is not firerated and NOT over 3 stories tall so you can use a plastic DWV system, then you could use it.

In Vancouver the inspectors want to see metal drains. ACO makes a cast Iron rough in to keep these inspectors happy.

JW

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks