Drain leak help

Users who are viewing this thread

Mar3232

Reaction score
I have some 3" copper pipe about a 6" section that feeds into an iron outlet to the septic tank. It had been wrapped with duct tape when I bought the house (bad idea) but wasn't leaking, so I put it on the back burner.

It started leaking after a new washer pumped water into the drain line. Fortunately, the leak is in the middle bottom of an 8" run of copper pipe -- I took off the duct tape and it's not a big opening -- I may try to clean it and possibly solder it but it's hard to reach and solder may not be the best solution.

What about those epoxy patches? And then make a slit in one of those rubber fittings with clamps so I can wrap it around the pipe? Or is there some sort of miracle tape? THANKS.

Mar3232

Reaction score
I know I should just replace the section but it's impossible to reach by the way

Reaction score
A pic would be helpful.

It's most likely always leaking from the joints or threads.

You'll need to remove all the "duct tape" to inspect and do the new repair.

There are many 'patch' plumbing products out there, visit your local hardware store. Epoxy putty is one of them. There are magical tapes too.

In the end, these patches are exactly that, patches. A real repair is the ultimate fate.

Mar3232

Reaction score
It's coming from the joint leading to a 6" piece of 3" copper pipe. I'd have to tear down a wall to replace the section but I can reach it to patch. The pipe section is 6" long and really want to cover the whole thing with a rubber coupling (with clamps) after I patch it but cant seem to find a coupling that long. Can you possibly buy the rubber material and make your own custom size?

Mar3232

Reaction score
I think for the time being I'm going to try the tape wrap thing -- what do you recommend? I see fiberglass? What is the best? thanks

Mar3232

Reaction score
Think I can do it right with a PVC elbow and 2 rubber couplings. sorry for the post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
think I can do it right with a pvc elbow and 2 rubber couplings. sorry for the post.
Officially, "right" requires "shielded" (metal banded) couplings rather than flexible rubber couplings, unless the coupling is buried.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have enough room to wrap fiberglass around the pipe, you probably have enough room cut it out and repair it correctly. Take a picture of what you got.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks