Drain layout for adding double sink to existing bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

AlFal

Reaction score
Hi All -

With a growing family, I'm looking to replace my existing single sink and vanity (which is conveniently 60 inches wide) with a double vanity and sink. Unfortunately there is only a single existing drain, but thankfully it lines up perfectly with the right side of a double sink. I'd like to add another drain line for the left sink - ideally without having to remove too much wall above where the vanity and sink will be. My current sink drain Tees off of the main stack and then Tees back in above for the vent (I've seen it and taken notes when I had to open up the other side of the wall a year or two ago). I have attached an image of my current layout - labeled existing. I am interesting in knowing if its acceptable to Tee a new drain into the existing waste line as shown in my image Proposal #1. If not, I'm assuming Proposal #2 is acceptable? I'd prefer #1, just because it requires less work in the visible damage range, but if #2 is the only acceptable solution, I'm willing to do it right. Thank you in advance for any guidance -

Al

Attachments

• existing.jpg
    existing.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 405
  • proposal1.jpg
    proposal1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 396
  • proposal2.jpg
    proposal2.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 352

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My first question is...........
Is it a vent on the top side? Or is there waste from above going down that stack?
And below, does it continue waste? Or is there plumbing below that is vented with that?

Assuming the first plumber got it right, and the lower part is waste only, and the top part if vent only, then the Second one would work, doing the revents at 42" befor tying back in.

AlFal

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Terry,

The top side is definitely only a vent. This bathroom is on the second floor of a 2 story house. However, I'm not sure about the lower part of the system if its waste only or a shared waste/vent - there is bathroom and kitchen below and I haven't seen how they tie in.

That being said, is #2 still a good plan? It won't make anything worse, right? Even if the lower part is a shared waste/vent.... If that's the case, its been like that for 50+ years.

Regards,

Al

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks