Drain into vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumber's Friend

Reaction score
I originally posted this in the remodel forum, but decided this is more appropriate. Hope I'm not breaking any rules.

I'm new here and joined so I can ask this question, but I hope I can be of some use in the future. I'm a landlord with a few hot water boilers to maintain and the usual plumbing issues. My dad was a plumber and, later, a maintenance department head in a government complex with three central steam boilers on a large campus. He taught me what he could, but he's gone now and I'm on my own.

I'm re-configuring a downstairs kitchen in a fourplex and want to move the sink about three feet to the left and add a dishwasher. It currently drains into a 2" stack which serves two other kitchens, one back-to-back with the one I'm working on.

As fate would have it, there is a 1-1/2 inch ABS stack about three feet to the left, right where I want the sink and dishwasher to drain. It drops into a 3" (if I remember right, maybe 2") cast clean out at the floor. Neither of these pierces the roof, but they are about 5-8 feet away from a 3" stack which serves an upstairs apartment and which does vent through the roof. The building has one other 3" stack for the other three bathrooms.

Based on these observations, I'm guessing the 1-1/2 ABS is a dry vent for the 2" three kitchen stack and that both vent into the nearby 3" stack in the ceiling of the upstairs units.

Rather than go horizontal for three feet, which would require some difficult drilling through a bearing wall, or an exposed pipe behind the dishwasher, I'd like to cut out the bottom of the 1-1/2" ABS and replace it with 2" up to the new drain. It seems like everything would still be vented properly, but the bottom 12-16" or so would be a wet vent.

I wish I had a picture. I may be able to get one later, but I wanted to run this by you all and get started. Sorry if my description is inadequate. Let me know if you need more information.

Doug

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks