Drain into fresh air inlet..

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by hagakure, Oct 11, 2013.

1. hagakure

hagakure New Member

..right above where it meets the main? My mother bought a house and I am extremely limited with what she and my step father will allow due to stubbornness and money and the only available pipe to dump a half bath from the first floor is the FAI which the previous owner had buried into a wall for some strange reason. I want to cut the pipe before the elbow, close to the main, put a wye and dump the 3 inch from half bath into it, then connect a new FAI into the top of said wye and not bury it in a wall this time.

I will be using PVC for the half bath but am unsure of what the best option is for connecting to the snapped Extra Heavy 4 inch. Can sch 40 PVC connect to a hubless piece of XH pipe? Before looking like an idiot at the plumbing supply I figured I'd look like an idiot here. I just want to make sure first but I really can't think of a problem other than some obscure local code.

Thanks a lot. After doing commercial for 3 years its a pain in the ass to see 80+ yr old plumbing and have to fix it cheaply.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

What is this "fresh air inlet" and what makes you think you can connect ANYTHING to it? IF they do not have the money and are stubborn, you should NOT try to "improvise" something to accommodate them. Do it right or don't do it at all.
  3. hagakure

hagakure New Member

What is a fresh air inlet? Is that a joke?
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I don't believe there is a term for "fresh air inlet"
    We do refer to vents.
    If it's a vent, then you can't dump a 1/2" bath into it.
    You may need to use a location downsteam.

If your old cast is 4-1/8" OD, then use a copper by no-hub coupling. Misson makes one.