Drain Help, Please

Users who are viewing this thread

julespoo

Reaction score
My wife and I need advice concerning bathtub drain. I gues will start from the beginning. About four months ago my wife took a shower and some tiles fell off. Upon further inspection, we noticed that the home builderstiled the whole hower alcove on drywall. Bad idea. We gutted the whole shower alcove and are starting from nothing but joists. With help from the John Bridges site, we have isulated all the walls and hung our back cement board wall. We even intalled a new ceiling fan without acess from the attic.

Now to my question. We are ready to put the tub in. We took out the old tub and bought one the exact same size. The new one is just a bit deeper. Just your basic acrylic recessed tub. I learned about the leverage boards and what not but am worried about the drain. I kept in place the PVC drainpipe. But my main problem is is that I have no acces to underneath the drain. My tub is going in a three sided alcove. Plus the drainpipe and overflow pipe do not have a washer. I need to hook the drain up right the first time. Kind of a one shot deal. I read to just get a washer, place siicon around the rubber and place the tub it and screw in the drain. If I do not make sense, let me know. We just need second opinions. I have pictures of my pipe if you need to see them. Any advice would be reatly appreciated. We just want to install a drain and lever drain stop. The we can hang walls and get this alcove tiled. I am trying to attach a picture.

Attachments

• Drain 002.jpg
    Drain 002.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You must have a rubber gasket on the drain shoe and overflow shoe, but both of these can be installed after the tub is set down. You should dry fit the tub to ensure both fittings line up right. Then just set it down and slip the gaskets through the openings into place/You mentioned backerboard already on the back wall? It should be done last, after the tub is set, so it can overlap the flange. You usually need to fur the studs so the backer will be plumb.

julespoo

Reaction score
Still need help.

No, I meant the I boarded the back wall of the alcove. I left everything around the tub alone. You mean I can slip the rubber washers over the gaskets while the tub is set down. Even if I do not have access through the bottom of the tub. Should I seal it with silicon? Just do not want any leaks because I am boarding up right after I put the tub in. Should I caulk around the drain and the overflow tube once the hardware is in place. Thank for your help. I have had 23 views and only one response.

Norcal1

Plumber/Owner
Reaction score
julespoo said:
No, I meant the I boarded the back wall of the alcove. I left everything around the tub alone. You mean I can slip the rubber washers over the gaskets while the tub is set down. Even if I do not have access through the bottom of the tub. Should I seal it with silicon? Just do not want any leaks because I am boarding up right after I put the tub in. Should I caulk around the drain and the overflow tube once the hardware is in place. Thank for your help. I have had 23 views and only one response.

You slip the rubber washers/gaskets thru the drain and overflow holes by bending them a bit.

No sealant is used around the overflow. Use plumbers putty under the drain.

There's no guarantee that you won't have leaks, especially in the white drain configuration underneath the tub. Isn't there a crawl space or living area underneath the tub that you can access the tub drain from if there is a leak?

Good luck

julespoo

Reaction score
overflow drain

So, we got the tub in and fitting snugly. The drain opening is perfectly lined up with the hole in the tub. The overflow drain is tall enough to fit into the other hole in the tub, but will have to be forced forward to be attached to the coverplate with trip lever. Is it OK to force it forward, or is there some way to extend it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks