drain has roots Pvc or ABS?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by brother, Apr 12, 2013.

1. brother

brother New Member

Found out that my drain outside the house has partial blockage because of some root ball. Since this is outside the house and underground, (4 inch pipe) what is legal to use and best to use? Pvc or ABS?
    I have dig it up, about 4ft deep so it wont take long.
  2. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

The answer would partially depend on what I was connecting to. We do not use ABS in this part of the Midwest, so that makes the decision that much easier. In older construction, the outside line could be clay or orangeburg, or cast iron, and each would be repaired differently.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Normally, in any given area, one or the other, PVC or ABS, is prevalent so the decision is easy. Either one is perfectly adequate, as long as it is NOT SDR grade PVC.
  4. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

We use ASTM-3034 sewer pipe 3ft outside foundation wall.The green pipe.