Drain for new toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

gusalot

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Im roughing in a new toilet in the basement and I would like some advice on weather the configuration of the pipes ive come up with is going to run into problems. If you think this design will have lots of problems let me know. Thanks. DSCF3562.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Much depends on what the other connections will be there. In most places the line for the water closet will need to be vented before it connects to a shared line.

gusalot

Reaction score
The dry vent for the toilet is the 2 inch wye you see there downstream of the toilet drain

rosem637

Reaction score
The vent at this location will not do much to vent the toilet

Attachments

• DSCF3562.jpg
    DSCF3562.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 199

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The dry vent for the toilet is the 2 inch wye you see there downstream of the toilet drain

You are permitted to use a long-turn 90 after the closet bend.

However, the venting may be wrong. That's not going to do it if you have waste running into the line from the left side of the photo. If that's going to be a clean-out only on the left, then it's an okay location for the vent although I don't love it being quite like that on its side. If waste is going to run in from the left, then it can only enter your setup downsteam of the vent, meaning that you move the vent or you don't connect that waste at the left end.

As to the flat vent that you appear to be creating there, I personally think that it doesn't even pass as a flat vent (in areas where that is permitted) because the wye hasn't been turned up so that its run inlet is above the center line of the horizontal drain. In any event, even if your area permits it, it's not a good practice because ultimately that vent is going to clog.

Last edited:

Asktom

Reaction score
Where you go from 4" to 3" you should have a 4" clean-out. Where you go from 3" to 2" you should have a 3" clean-out. So, you should probably have it 4" all the way. As mentioned above, the toilet vent isn't right. At a minimum it needs to be rolled up at a 45 and if it is flat under the floor needs to go up the wall with a long sweep 1/4 bend and have a cleanout on the vent. If the 2" all the way to the left is for a drain it should wye off downstream from the toilet vent rather than at the end.

gusalot

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great comments guys. Im going to adjust the piping to make it more correct.

Reach4

Reaction score
Where you go from 4" to 3" you should have a 4" clean-out. Where you go from 3" to 2" you should have a 3" clean-out.

I thought it looked like he was going from a "3 to a 4" and a 2" to a 3"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks