Drain for new basement bath

Users who are viewing this thread

KJones

Reaction score
Adding a bath to a 6'x10' alcove in the basement conveniently located under an existing half bath & laundry, so the water and drain lines are right there. Tried to upload and also add image of the current drains but not sure is it is working. The upstairs toilet starts the run in one corner into 3" thinwall PVC which runs horizontally along the back wall and turns at the next corner and runs along the side wall, where the sink taps into it followed by the washer's drain. the 3" runs to the next corner and then drops down to the basement floor, where a cleanout Wye connection is located.

We are using a macerator pump to avoid breaking into the concrete flooring, and it will be connected either into the vertical 3" with a Wye or possibly extending the cleanout and adding a Wye there and leaving the cleanout on top of that extension (don't have to cut into that 3" thinwall that way).

The vent was going to tap into the current vent, which seems to now be running down the wall between the 1st floor bath and laundry. But possibly could we tap into the 3" horizontal?

Thanks,
KJ

Attachments

• Plumb1.jpg
    Plumb1.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 220
  • Plumb1.jpg
    Plumb1.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 215
Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Once a line is a drain, it cannot be used as a vent. You probably could tap the vent from the laundry, assuming that is done properly. Code calls for the connection to be 42" above the floor OR 6" above the highest flood rim, whichever is higher. Unless you put some of the piping beneath the slab, that means that you will need to make your tub/shower high enough so that it has slope to the pump and basin. Also, you'll need a rear outlet toilet which limits your choices considerably. What is the height of the sewer line exiting the basement? Gravity is always preferred, if possible. Cutting the slab to install drains beneath isn't normally all that hard and will prevent future maintenance issues you'll always have with a pump and basin.

KJones

Reaction score
Thanks Jim. Planning on the 42" tap in to existing vent upstairs, got the platform planned for whirlpool tub so 1/4" drop per foot in the plans too. Still not sure if laundry somehow has a vent of it's own or if it vents through that 3", cause we only found 1 vent pipe coming into the attic. Already have pump/toilet and have to assume that sewer line is somewhat lower than the basement floor, or am I likely to get a geyser if we open the cleanout that is maybe 6" or so above the floor?!?
Yeah, I was outvoted on slab vs. pump.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If your sewer line exits the house below the slab...I'd rethink using a pump! The first time the pump fails, or you try to flush the toilet or drain the tub and the power is out, you may be sorry! Plus, they aren't the quietest thing out there, either. Replacing a sewage encrusted pump is not a pleasant experience.

KJones

Reaction score
Hey Jim, I agree but as I said was outvoted.

Anyone out there that can comment on the current drain system violating any common codes?

KJ

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks