Drain Flies Under toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

bac2010

Reaction score
I had a few places where drain flies started breeding. First was the bathroom sink and I manually took that apart, cleaned it out and thought I was OK. And then started seeing more drain flies after a few days and then saw them near the toilet so I siliconed around the base to at least make the wife happy and stop them from appearing. I had replaced a wax ring last winter due to a small leak with a Sani Seal and stopped the leak but maybe there is a an air gap somewhere even though I added silicone top and bottom. The leak was a short duration so the floor looks to be solid enough so they won't be escaping into the basement. Question is: can I leave as is for awhile and what will the drain flies do being trapped under the toilet? Thanks. John

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I wouldn't silicone over the Sani seal, but it's done...

If it's dry under there and no leaks eventually they should die.

bac2010

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yes, silicone on the Sani Seal is done deal and was something that the manufacturer video suggested but didn't say was necessary. Unless there is a very slow or occasional leak, I'm am assuming that it is dry but unless I opened it up, I won't know for sure. My wife has used this toilet probably a thousand times since I replaced the wax ring so I would think a leak would have shown up by now. Wood (looking from basement) is slightly discolored from previous leak but looks solid and dry and no drips anywhere.

If no leak then my next concern is air gap with the compression of the Sani Seal even with the silicone. Hopefully not and they will die! What a pain they are and it is nice they are gone. When I get the chance, I will open up or even replace the toilet. With my back it is a 2 person job so it isn't something I can do on my own.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you used silicone, I hope two people are enough. That has glue properties. If the toilet flange was so gnarled that the Saniseal would not seal, I think I might have put some wax under the Saniseal. Surely the toilet itself would have been smooth enough to seal against the Saniseal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks