Drain Cleaning Tips!

Discussion in 'Drain Cleaning' started by sjson, May 10, 2011.

1. sjson

sjson New Member

You notice the water level in your sink isn't going down. If it is, it's descending at a snail pace. Rather than reaching under the sink for a bottle of Drano, try these tips to ensure a happy sink and ultimately, a happy YOU.

1. Identify what's causing the clog. If you think the likely verdict is hair, you can simply get a drain stick with barbs in it to retrieve all the hair. If it's something else, it will be extremely useful to identify it to take a different plan of attack.

2. Stock up on a few simple tools. Purchase the aforementioned drain stick, barbed and smooth. A small wet/dry vacuum is nice to have in the kitchen closet and of course the plunger.

3. Try to use natural ingredients-based solutions rather than harsh chemical products. A strong vinegar-lemon solution can do the trick for some basic clogs that have things stuck to the side.

4. Take apart the pipes and clean them out with a toothbrush or some sort of scrubbing pad. WARNING: Make sure you know what you're doing before dismantling the plumbing.

5. The best thing you can do to clean your drains is by preventing the clogs from the beginning. You can run a natural solution down the drain on a bi-weekly basis. You can purchase a strainer to prevent hair from entering the drain.

If you have any other suggestions or tips to add please chime in!
  2. kzhen8

kzhen8 Banned

Thanks for the tips! Don't believe in using Drano either or anything that is not natural.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

and when NONE of those "tricks" work, do what you should have in the beginning and call the plumber. FEW stoppages are close enough to eliminate with a "stick", and ANY chemical, natural or not, is ONLY going to make the smallest opening it needs to flow down the sewer.
  4. dave36

dave36 In the Trades

Get a simple manual drain snake, just in case something really gets clogged and a natural solution will not clear it out. It is simple to use and will remove the blockage.
  5. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

A garden hose with a tee shirt held tight around any pipe will open just about anything - or jet it into a long drain pipe.
  6. toolaholic

toolaholic General Contractor Carpenter

And if the tee tee shirt N hose don't cut through the 4 Ft. root Mass, I use My 3/4 H.P. Maxi Rooter with a newly sharpened Root Saw !
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2012
  7. AssTyme

AssTyme Plumber

LMAO !!!

You very funny !!!!!
  8. toolaholic

Thanks Brother
  9. toolaholic

Wow cut through 9' of roots with an old sock and garden hose , yesterday. Does R.R. KNOW THIS NEW TECH.
  10. AssTyme

AssTyme Plumber

Top secret !!!!!!!!!
  11. Natineah

Natineah New Member

Pour a brine solution (or very strong salt water) down any sink to eliminate odors. It is good for kitchen sinks because it keeps grease from building up in the drains after cleaning dishes from dinner. This is a great little trick for preventing clogged drains from happening in the first place, which can definitely save you a nice bundle of cash.
  12. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Shove a hose and rag into the drain line and turn on the water. Unless the stoppage is very "loose" the water will rise up in the vent pipe and flow out onto the roof. Then when you turn the water off and remove the hose ALL that water will drain out of the pipe into the sink cabinet and onto the floor.
  13. Brokersdad

Brokersdad New Member

In the past I had my kitchen and dishwasher drain plug that it would no longer drain (didn't give me much warning either) . I cut the very end off my drain pipe, inserted an air hose running from my air compressor and started blowing air through it...(make sure any sinks in this line have the drain plugs in and tight). You can actually hear the stuff in the drain moving, if it's being stubborn, run some water then hit it again ..repeat if necessary. It will free it up ,and blow the blockage out. Then I run hot water down it for 5-10 minutes to make sure it takes it all to the exit point. Remember, drain plugs in..it aint pretty if you don't..I found out the hard way:rolleyes:LOL
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  14. Luckett83

Luckett83 New Member

I get clogs all the time in my bathroom sink and tub. I typically use some sort of chemical remover, but it's great to hear about some of the more friendlier methods. I also think taking proactive steps to lessen clogs is crucial, but when multiple people are using it, that can be easier said than done. Thanks for the tips!
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  15. AssTyme

AssTyme Plumber

Yes thanX for all the great tips I'm going to give them a shot on my upcoming service calls :)