Drain Cleaning Tips!

Users who are viewing this thread

sjson

Reaction score
You notice the water level in your sink isn't going down. If it is, it's descending at a snail pace. Rather than reaching under the sink for a bottle of Drano, try these tips to ensure a happy sink and ultimately, a happy YOU.

1. Identify what's causing the clog. If you think the likely verdict is hair, you can simply get a drain stick with barbs in it to retrieve all the hair. If it's something else, it will be extremely useful to identify it to take a different plan of attack.

2. Stock up on a few simple tools. Purchase the aforementioned drain stick, barbed and smooth. A small wet/dry vacuum is nice to have in the kitchen closet and of course the plunger.

3. Try to use natural ingredients-based solutions rather than harsh chemical products. A strong vinegar-lemon solution can do the trick for some basic clogs that have things stuck to the side.

4. Take apart the pipes and clean them out with a toothbrush or some sort of scrubbing pad. WARNING: Make sure you know what you're doing before dismantling the plumbing.

5. The best thing you can do to clean your drains is by preventing the clogs from the beginning. You can run a natural solution down the drain on a bi-weekly basis. You can purchase a strainer to prevent hair from entering the drain.

If you have any other suggestions or tips to add please chime in!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
and when NONE of those "tricks" work, do what you should have in the beginning and call the plumber. FEW stoppages are close enough to eliminate with a "stick", and ANY chemical, natural or not, is ONLY going to make the smallest opening it needs to flow down the sewer.

Dave36

In the Trades
Reaction score
Get a simple manual drain snake, just in case something really gets clogged and a natural solution will not clear it out. It is simple to use and will remove the blockage.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
A garden hose with a tee shirt held tight around any pipe will open just about anything - or jet it into a long drain pipe.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
A garden hose with a tee shirt held tight around any pipe will open just about anything - or jet it into a long drain pipe.

And if the tee tee shirt N hose don't cut through the 4 Ft. root Mass, I use My 3/4 H.P. Maxi Rooter with a newly sharpened Root Saw !

Last edited by a moderator:

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
Wow cut through 9' of roots with an old sock and garden hose , yesterday. Does R.R. KNOW THIS NEW TECH.

Natineah

Reaction score
Pour a brine solution (or very strong salt water) down any sink to eliminate odors. It is good for kitchen sinks because it keeps grease from building up in the drains after cleaning dishes from dinner. This is a great little trick for preventing clogged drains from happening in the first place, which can definitely save you a nice bundle of cash.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Shove a hose and rag into the drain line and turn on the water. Unless the stoppage is very "loose" the water will rise up in the vent pipe and flow out onto the roof. Then when you turn the water off and remove the hose ALL that water will drain out of the pipe into the sink cabinet and onto the floor.

Brokersdad

Reaction score
In the past I had my kitchen and dishwasher drain plug that it would no longer drain (didn't give me much warning either) . I cut the very end off my drain pipe, inserted an air hose running from my air compressor and started blowing air through it...(make sure any sinks in this line have the drain plugs in and tight). You can actually hear the stuff in the drain moving, if it's being stubborn, run some water then hit it again ..repeat if necessary. It will free it up ,and blow the blockage out. Then I run hot water down it for 5-10 minutes to make sure it takes it all to the exit point. Remember, drain plugs in..it aint pretty if you don't..I found out the hard way:rolleyes:LOL

Last edited:

Luckett83

Reaction score
I get clogs all the time in my bathroom sink and tub. I typically use some sort of chemical remover, but it's great to hear about some of the more friendlier methods. I also think taking proactive steps to lessen clogs is crucial, but when multiple people are using it, that can be easier said than done. Thanks for the tips!

Last edited:

AssTyme

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes thanX for all the great tips I'm going to give them a shot on my upcoming service calls :)

Reactions: SHR

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF your system is properly vented, there is no way you can use air pressure to push a clog out of the drain. The air is SUPPOSED to go up the vent and outside the building.

Will Hoffman

Reaction score
Those are really great tips. I don't have much tips to add-on but a real precaution for those who take clogging issues. Before you begin ask the owner whether they've used any chemicals to unclog the sink, because if you start working on it without knowing the presence of any chemicals that might end up painful. This was tipped to me by a service guy from Doctor Rooter, Mississauga, who came to do the inspection works at our parents house. He told me that amongst the accidents happening during sink unclogging, around 40% end up in chemical burn.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have been cleaning drains for over 60 years and have NEVER had a "chemical burn". I have had drains that I knew there was "drano" in them because the water was slippery, but never a burn from it. The chemicals a consumer can get are "watered" down so they will NOT harm themselves and then sue the manufacturer even though there are warnings on the container.

SHR

Reaction score
hj said:
I have been cleaning drains for over 60 years and have NEVER had a "chemical burn".

hj you are fortunate. I have a master plumber friend who had to take disability retirement due to drain chemicals from a floor drain backup eating through his footwear and burning the skin off both feet!. He can hardly walk anymore. I know he should have been more careful, I always try to be, but the customer at first denied ever using chemical drain cleaners. She had used the lye main line cleaner that HD sells in gallon containers sealed in plastic bags. So, although most household drain chemicals are watered down, the homeowner still has access to some nasty stuff.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
hj said:
I have been cleaning drains for over 60 years and have NEVER had a "chemical burn".

hj you are fortunate. I have a master plumber friend who had to take disability retirement due to drain chemicals from a floor drain backup eating through his footwear and burning the skin off both feet!. He can hardly walk anymore. I know he should have been more careful, I always try to be, but the customer at first denied ever using chemical drain cleaners. She had used the lye main line cleaner that HD sells in gallon containers sealed in plastic bags. So, although most household drain chemicals are watered down, the homeowner still has access to some nasty stuff.

Another risk is to the eyes. Strong bases, like sodium hydroxide (lye), in drain cleaners, basically dissolves the cornea. I learned from an ophthalmologist friend years ago that strong bases are more damaging to the eyes than strong acids.

If any doubt about drain cleaner being used, please use eye protection.

Reactions: SHR

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
One of the best tips I could give would be to NOT mix chemicals, because that can cause nasty concoctions. I once had a clogged urinal in a grocery store. It was filled with a "black liquid". A customer was using the other urinal. When I "stirred" the black stuff up it gave off a noxious "smoke". My eyes started watering, so I grabbed the customer and threw him out through the door then waited for things to settle down before going back in. The clerks apparently dumped almost every chemical on the shelves into it to try to do it themselves.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks