Drain Cleaning Bladder -- not enough flow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
So, my main drain is clogged again (TP or something caught on an offset joint) and I decided to try a drain cleaning bladder. It said not to use water with a pressure of over 50psi. Mine is 60 to 65psi. I got the model for 4-6" pipes and it only expanded to maybe 3" or so. So, obviously that wouldn't work. Did I not have enough flow perhaps?

Jason

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Should be working but sounds like it's a defective product.

I bought all different sizes of those and I don't think I've ever used them. They're dry rotting from lack of use.

I use the canvas type blow-up sacks when I'm dealing with heavy toilet paper compaction or following up after drain cleaning.

Hydropressure is your friend in effectively cleaning a drain.

Enosez

Reaction score
My experience with the bladders is that if the pipe isnt fully clogged, the bladder will not build up enough pressure to actually work.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I've used several different sizes of the bladders in the past. They have a small opening on the end that also has a vibrating device in it. Any decent amount of hose pressure should expand the bladder to keep it in the pipe. If the plug is solid with barely any movement, the vibration will help break the clog. (If it's eight feet of solid grease, forget it!)

I have had drains that were impossible to get a cable through, and the bladder saved the day. OTOH, I recently helped with a job from a drain cleaning company where the bladder pumped water through a leaking vent and destroyed property beneath a leaking ceiling, so you have to use them with caution.

One problem with this type of pressure device is that you can put in a drain and the vent can fill with water, then when you shut off the hose the whole mess comes out of the wall. Also, a fixture below it can overflow flooding a basement or lower floor. You have to take great care with something like this.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks for the replies. Maybe it was defective. It was just a rubber baloon tube thing with a hole. No vibrating doodad or anything.

I had all the other exits sealed so I was using directly into the main drain. Moot point now. Oh well.

Thanks,
Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks