Downsizing Pipe - Water Velocity, Pressure, etc....

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
I have a 2 pipe hot water system. Meaning one feed, one return .
The 1 Baseboard I am looking the 1st one off the boiler.

All my baseboards are piped 3/4.

On this baseboard, the feed and return are piped 3/4 already.
I am ordering a Runtal baseboard and they were advising strongly to go with 1/2" on the piping on the rear versus the speced 3/4".
We are using 3/4" Pex and was planning to just connect the 3/4" and *hang* the baseboard of it's cleats.

The Runtal rep was advising that while 3/4 piped on the sides is common (which I get....I just hate their trim covers), I was advised 1/2 is more common in the rear and to just use a adapter bushing. Or in my case, 3/4 PEX to 1/2" PIPE fitting . Am I technically downgrading the pressure of the system if I am going into a 1/2 pipe thread. What is the con of doing this or will it detract from the system ?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I cannot see any benefit by doing it in 1/2", especially PEX, but since it is a two pipe system, every radiator is independent so you will NOT affect the "system's pressure", although you will probably increase the "head" pressure of that particular unit and thus reduce the flow volume.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Got it. Thanks.

They were advising on how they build it, if I went with 3/4 on the rear, it would increase the depth 2" more.
Long story as it was *just the same* to me, as the RO on where the stubs for feed, return are, it will still be 3/4" + hole for the feeds anyway - what is the big deal if the RO hole is 1/8" more. They were advising about depth in the cavity, etc. So I decided to let them build it in 1/2 and will just use 1/2IPS - 3/4 Pex adapter

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks