DoubleSpeak

Users who are viewing this thread

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Of any 10 people you know, how many are spin doctors?

Are there more men than women in this group?

What do spin doctors do when they actually want to use words to communicate, rather than just give the impression of communicating?

Cookie

Reaction score
Men. Always men. Women talk too much to do so. Although their is one woman journalist I can think of who covered the Lacey P. Trial and couldn't remain neutral.

But...if you are talking favorable reviews, I know of none.

Why, do you?

Last edited:

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
Maybe, but Deborah Tannen told us they don't speak the same language as men.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Well, if I knew 10 lawyers then ALL of them would be spin doctors because NONE of them would ever have represented a guilty person. How they break down sexwise would determine which is worse.

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
I guess it's like the kid that cried "Wolf." Nobody believes him when he is telling the truth. If lawyers never tell the truth then it's not a problem.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
I have come before you, to stand behind you, and tell you about something I know nothing about...
This Thursday, which is also Good Friday there will be a mothers meeting for fathers only...
Admission is free, pay at the door...
Pull up a chair and sit on the floor...

Is that doublespeak enough?

Of all the politicians, lawyers, and others that engage in doublespeak I believe the all time master of it was the boss I had when I briefly worked at Rotten Rooter some years back. There was a very strong sell motivation with commission, and the pressure of quotas, and upselling. Of course this environment is ripe for those who would exploit the customers with selling unneeded work to haul in those fat commissions. Every once in a while someone playing the system would get a complaint and of course the customer would be refunded money with the crooked tech losing his commission...

The problem was that sometimes even the guys that were not exploiting the system would get a customer complaint and the company woulds almost never back them and they could easily lose their commission as well despite doing everything they were supposed to do. These situations almost always lead to some discussions at meetings where techs would try to get some concrete rules to go by. All we could get from the manager was a bunch of doublespeak that amounted to "We want lots of money, but if a customer complains you will lose, now go bring us lots of money cause if you don't we'll can you, and don't have any complaints or, you'll lose. If the customer complaints too hard we might can you for that as well..."

Anyway it was a great place not to stay long...
Is there any wonder why there was a 33% turnover rate on their employees?

I look forward to the day when doublespeak becomes a capitol offense...

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
"Reality show" is a very short "political statement". The first half seems to be telling you something and the second half seems to be taking it away again.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks