Double sink placement

Users who are viewing this thread

TL

Reaction score
Hi, All.

I always get great advice from the TL, John Bridge, and DIY Chatroom forums. . .so I thought I would throw this out there real quick for some advice (if anyone is around before I start cutting!).

I have a 60" double vanity and was looking for some advice/opinions on the best placement of the sinks. The vanity has drawers in the center third, so there are three distinct "compartments" underneath. I would like to center each vessel sink with respect to each door (see pic). If I center each sink with the middle of the door and also from front to back, it leaves me with about 2 1/2" behind the sinks for the faucets. I plan on using one hole faucets either directly behind the sink or slightly off center. In this scenario, the sinks would be roughly 5" from the finished edge of the vanity top and would be roughly 35" on center (drain hole to drain hole).

Is this enough room for the plumbing or should the sinks be moved forward?

Thanks!

Tom
IMG_20161005_135709174.jpg

IMG_20161005_135753656.jpg

Erico

Reaction score
I think off center left or right, as the space opens up, will work aesthetically better than behind. Just make sure you have enough room to screw on the nut underneath. The supplies just need to be close.

Behind will look cramped even if it fits. Wall mount would be nice if behind. Either way, buy the faucets first.

I would slide the sinks forward a hair. I've never felt everything HAS to be exactly centered. I might even bring the sinks inboard a hair. Those vessel sinks can get kind messy if you or your guests aren't careful. I would think slightly foward would be better for face washing and fitting your hands behind to clean.

TL

Reaction score
Hi, Erico.

Thanks for the reply.

I ended up moving the sinks forward only about a 1/2 inch or so, but it makes a difference. It looks like I will have plenty of room wherever I mount the faucets. I'm leaning off center. I agree, putting them behind may look cramped. In wall is not an option at this point.

Good point about cleaning. It looks good either way there also.

Hopefully, they wont be any messier than a pedestal sink!

I'll try to throw up a pic tomorrow.

Thanks.

Erico

Reaction score
image.jpeg
Hi, Erico.

Thanks for the reply.

I ended up moving the sinks forward only about a 1/2 inch or so, but it makes a difference. It looks like I will have plenty of room wherever I mount the faucets. I'm leaning off center. I agree, putting them behind may look cramped. In wall is not an option at this point.

Good point about cleaning. It looks good either way there also.

Hopefully, they wont be any messier than a pedestal sink!

I'll try to throw up a pic tomorrow.

Thanks.

I'm sure it can't be worse than this little "Aqua Baby" sink I installed in my new bath. We squeezed a lot in to a 4x8 space. In retrospect I could have use a slightly larger sink - maybe a pedestal. We were really worried about being cramped and having a larger shower.

This sink isn't good for much more than washing hands.

TL

Reaction score
Ha! Looks good, though.

I think I should be good to go if I put the faucet up in the corner.

Now, I just have to figure out the best way to secure the plywood to the cabinet!

IMG_20161006_103855941.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Now, I just have to figure out the best way to secure the plywood to the cabinet!
Longer screws?

I would think that if the front edge of the vessel lined up with the front of the top, that would be very functional.

TL

Reaction score
I ended up putting them just about a 1/2" forward, that's all. I think they will be in a good position there. I'll post a pic when I'm all finished.

IMG_0602.JPG

Erico

Reaction score
I ended up putting them just about a 1/2" forward, that's all. I think they will be in a good position there. I'll post a pic when I'm all finished.

View attachment 36435

That's going to be nice!

Are you tiling the the top? Don't forget to prime the plywood. Maybe two coats? Maybe even a layer of 1/4 inch cement board set in thinset.

TL

Reaction score
Yes, I'm tiling the top. I used Ditra, so no need for primer. Here's the last pic I took. It's all tiled now, but I need to make a small back splash first. I will post a few pics when done!
attachment.php

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks