double sanitary tee in Canada

Discussion in 'Canadian Plumbing Code Questions' started by segal46, Jun 19, 2010.

1. segal46

segal46 a/v technician

Hi all,
    My question pertains to a double sanitary tee 2inch reduced to 1-1/2, i've been searching everywhere in Montreal, seems plumbers here dont like to use it as much as elswhere, though through shipement i will end up paying double for it, sic quebec is distinct for its own reasons...lol.
    How many plumbers use double sanitary tee's and if not why not, i will be using it for 2 sinks in different rooms, leading to a 2 inch drain.
    thanks
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It, along with a double combination Y-1/8 bend, is ILLEGAL for that use in this, and most areas using the UPC. The IPC might allow it, but I am not sure about that. You are supposed to use the proper fitting, which is a "back to back fixture fitting", (R&G Sloane #91491 in ABS), which comes in 2x2x1 1/2x1 1/2, 2x1 1/2x1 1/2x1 1/2, and all sides 2", plus larger sizes.

Double fixture cross
    [​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2010
  3. nhmaster3015

nhmaster3015 Master Plumber

unfortunately ( if you are in the drain cleaning game ) IPC allows it
  4. hj

As you can see, by the insert which was added to my posting, it appears similar to a double combo. However, the branches are attached higher up on the barrel to eliminate the creation of a 3/4 "S" trap, which would occur with a double combo. A sanitary cross is a "terrible" fitting to use in its place because while it is not impossible to snake the vertical line through one, by the time you succeeded you would have called it every name in the book that would have gotten your mouth washed out with soap when you were younger.
  5. nhmaster3015

double san tees are probably the reason why they came up with the drop head for your snake
  6. hj

Even they do not always work. The spinning head will usually flip up and enter the opposite side.
  7. nhmaster3015

Even better is when the whip around and crack the fitting
  8. hj

Well, I have never had that happen, but if it did, it would mean the fitting was already done for, and you just helped it along.
  9. segal46

segal46 a/v technician

Why would I need to fish sinks when they lead to a 2inch vertical drain with a drain plug, they are bathroom sinks hand washing and soap will probably be the worst they see.
    Just a thought to the responses which where somewhat confusing, though I understand by the pic Hj put up the higher curb on the double fixture cross
  10. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Are you kidding me?
    Have you never snaked a lav drain and seen what comes out on the end of the snake.
    Lavs have nasty stuff. Snaking lavs is one of the most common things I do for people. Many homes have slow lav drains over time.
    That's why plumbers are called in, and when the piping in the wall has the wrong fittings, it creates problems for the life of the home.
    Not just a year or two, for the life of the home.

I'm getting hungry just looking at this
    [​IMG]

Looking inside a sink drain, you know this stuff smells good.
    [​IMG]

Stuff we find inside of pipes
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  11. segal46

segal46 a/v technician

Lmao, point well taken and understood ,guess that's why i,m not a plumber just a do-it your-selfer and seeing that you posted those yummy pictures I will take pride in doing the job right.
    thx
    Sergio
  12. hj

A person who uses a sanitary cross for that connection, is usually not experienced enough to KNOW that you also put a cleanout tee below it. I had a motel where EVERY two sink connection was a cross and there were NO cleanout tees. I had to make openings in the wall, and drill a hole in the vent above the fitting to snake it. Then I put a "repair clamp" over the hole to prevent leakage.
  13. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

Doubt San-T's are perfectly legal here in Canada according to the National Plumbing Code of Canada. In fact if you have two sinks sharing a common vent through a semetrically connected fitting then that fitting HAS to be a Double San-T. Because if it's not you're a creating an S-Trap and you are not allowed to install S-Traps. You also MUST install a cleanout below the Double San-T because every plumbing system needs to be designed so that each and every soil-or-waste pipe can be snaked from inside the house.

You should be able to find yourself a 2x1.5x1.5" double san-T. If you can't then just buy a 2" double san-t and get three 2x1.5" bushings.
  14. christoff

christoff Member

would my setup work for a lav back to back with a laundry tub,with a cleanout underneath it ?

Attached Files:

15. Terry

No. That makes S-Traps what will siphon.

The vent needs to pull off of the top of the pipe, not six inches lower.
  16. christoff

christoff Member

so, if i put the 90's on the top of the y's that would be ok cause it is lower?
  17. Terry

You can't use a wye fitting for back to back fixtures.

[​IMG]
  18. christoff

christoff Member

Thanks Terry I'll do it this way
  19. christoff

christoff Member

does anyone know where in canada (toronto area) i can get this double sanitary tee?
    they don't have it at hd. i also went to a plumbing outlet no luck, thats why i got the double y
  20. hj

drain

quote; In fact if you have two sinks sharing a common vent through a semetrically connected fitting then that fitting HAS to be a Double San-T. Because if it's not you're a creating an S-Trap and you are not allowed to install S-Traps.

Aren't you reading anything that has been said. The "back to back fixture fitting" DOES NOT create an "S" trap, which is why it is REQUIRED in most areas.