Double lavatory not vented, gurgling, not draining well

Users who are viewing this thread

Lukevan

Reaction score
Hi,
My wife and I bought our first house over the summer and the double sink in the bathroom is not draining well. It gurgles, and drains slowly if both sinks are in use. I would like to plumb the drain properly, but I'm not sure about the best way. Based on what I was reading here, I was thinking a double fixture tee, but I can't seem to find one that is 1.5" all around (I was planning on running the vent all the way up through the roof). Also, I don't know if there is room assuming I can locate the proper fixture tee.

Could I stack 2 sanitary tees, changing the inlet height of the left sink drain, but leaving the right sink drain height as it is? Or is that a no-no?

Thank you so much for any help!
20141207_141757.jpg

Lukevan

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply xr4ti. That is definitely what happened. I looked over your thread and the threads that were related to converting a single to a double vanity and now it looks like I am in for more work than I thought.

Now I'm not sure what to do about the line that goes into the main 3" cast iron vent stack. It's 1.5" copper, but Terry said 2 lavs require a 2" drain. Ouch.

Am I correct to assume that as long as I have the 1.5" copper line my sinks will never drain properly?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The 1.5" will work on lavs if you keep it clean. There are not many times people are draining both sinks at once.

Lukevan

Reaction score
Ok, but if I install a double fixture fitting with a 2" outlet, I will have to reduce the fitting to be able to couple it with the copper right? Thanks!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Since you are considering doing it wrong anyway, if you have enough room to stack a pair of sanitees, it would not be much worse.

Lukevan

Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I am not interested in doing this the wrong way--that is why I asked if stacking a pair of sanitees was an acceptable practice in the first place. I just recently discovered that a 2" line is required for my setup.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks