Double Lavatory drain/vent question

Users who are viewing this thread

Silversurfer7

Reaction score
I'm planing on installing a new, double lavatory, vanity in my master bathroom. Current bathroom has one lavatory and is located on the third floor of my condo Bldg. Wondering if I should attach to the existing wet vent with a double wye fitting or two individual san tees? With the cathedral ceiling, the top of the existing vent (on the roof) is approx. 15' above the center of the lavatory trap arm.

Curious on how I can properly support the upper, steel, portions of the vent -once the lower portion is cut out to accommodate the new, ABS, fittings? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks a lot :)

Robert
in California

Last edited:

Silversurfer7

Reaction score
lav_rough_double_b.jpg

This image, from a previous thread, really helped me out.

Thanks Terry!

Last edited by a moderator:

Silversurfer7

Reaction score
Any reccomendations on best way to connect new ABS, 2", double Wye fitting to existing, steel wet vent? ie....flexible coupler, vent supports, etc. :confused:

My existing vent stack/plumbing was built in 1970.

abs_fixture_cross.jpg

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
The above picture would not be legal where I am, as the use of the double combo (double wye 1/8 bend) is a fitting which does not allow for adequate venting of the traps. The vent inlet will be below the weir of the trap.

An adequate alternative would be a sanitary cross with a clean-out tee above, or stacking two san tee's, wet-venting one of the lavs.

If a double combo were used as above, vents on each dirty arm would be required.

Attachments

• lavs.JPG
    lavs.JPG
    8.3 KB · Views: 1,154
Last edited:

Silversurfer7

Reaction score
What is a double wye fitting that is equivalent to two, back to back, san tees called? Is it.....double wye 1/4 bend or back to back fitting or ???? :confused:

I ask after looking at the, earlier, mentioned picture that appears (in my novice world) to have this type of fitting and not a double combo? Please let me know what I'm missing. Thanks

double_lav_rough_1.jpg

double-lav-3.jpg

This one uses 2" which also vents the toilet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
fitting

That is not a double combination Y-1/8 bend, it is a double fixture cross, which is an approved, and actually the only approved, fitting for back to back installations. A sanitary cross is not approved because the two openinngs are across from each other with no barrier to prevent cross splashing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks