Door Hinges

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by Carl Simmo, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Carl Simmo

Carl Simmo New Member

Hi everyone- I was replacing all my hinges with something the wife wanted and 2 screws snapped off in the door:eek: . So now i'm faced with either putting a new interior door in, in which you'll all have to coach me on the fine art of motising or secondly a way of removing the 2 screws that snapped off flush w\ the door.
    Thanks for the help guys...
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

You can get screw extractors various places, but for woodworking, I like to scroll through the website at www.rockler.com. Once you see what one looks like, you can then check out finding one locally, if needed.

If you drilled a proper pilot hole, lubed the screw (a little beeswax works wonders) and if using a drill, set the torque rating, that probably wouldn't happen. If the screws you are using are brass, it is sometimes worth the effort to use a steel screw to make the threads in the wood, take it out, then use a brass one which is nowhere near as strong.
  3. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

A screw extractor would work. If I don't have one of those, I usually chisel out a little circle around the broken screw until part of it is exposed. Then I use a vice grips to turn out the screw. Even if you never got the screw to come out, you don't need to replace the door. Just buy hinges with the holes in a different place or drill new holes in the hinges you already have. But I'm sure you can get them out.
  4. Cass

Cass Plumber

Were they typical wood screws or drywall type screws. I would find it hard to beleive that a typical hinge screw snapped off in a door.
  5. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

You can probably chisel around the head to get a grip on it. It you bung up the hole, a good repair is to take some toothpicks, dip each in yellow glue, and start inserting them into the hole. Use a small hammer to pack the last ones in good and tight. When the glue sets up, trim flush with a utility knife, then drill a small pilot hole.
  6. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

Drilling pilot holes

I discovered one of those great tools you never think about until you see it, then wonder how you got along without it. It's a self-centering drill bit designed to drill pilot holes for hinges. Called a "Vix bit" -- here's a 1000-word picture:

http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11297

It's obvious that some pre-hung door fabricators (e.g., Masonite) don't use these things.
  7. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

If you pound in a golf tee it will do the same thing. Then just snap off the head of the tee when you're done and drill your pilot hole. Or you can just use a larger screw.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2006