Door From Garage to Outside - Code Question

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by MG, Apr 7, 2008.

1. MG

MG New Member

Just curious - my next project is replacing the door from the garage to the outside, and I've noticed that all the ones I see locally have windows in them. Is this a building code item?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I don't see a reason for windows in that door. The only requirements I'm aware of (and it is by no means complete) is the one from a garage to the dwelling must meet certain fire prevention requirements.
  3. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I have a 900 sq foot shop/garage with 3 overhead doors and 2 steel walk-in doors. There are zero windows in the building. I had no problem passing inspection. To me, windows in a shop or garage are nothing more than access points for thieves. They never get washed, so soon they become a detraction to the appearance of the building. They do not offer enough light to work by, so you have to have a good lighting system anyway.
  4. MG

MG New Member

I was thinking the same thing. I should ask my neighbor - he has a fairly new garage (less than 3 years) and would likely remember if it was a requirement. I'd like to go with a solid steel clad door there with a deadbolt.
  5. MG

MG New Member

Talked with my neighbor and he said the doors were not a sticking point at all with the inspection for his garage. I'm going with no windows. There should be a noticeable difference vs. the old door...this new one is weatherstripped well and I'll be insulating all the gaps between the studs and jamb. I hope its easier to install than those miserable split jamb buggers I used inside - those are a pain...