Door From Garage to Outside - Code Question

Users who are viewing this thread

MG

Reaction score
Just curious - my next project is replacing the door from the garage to the outside, and I've noticed that all the ones I see locally have windows in them. Is this a building code item?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't see a reason for windows in that door. The only requirements I'm aware of (and it is by no means complete) is the one from a garage to the dwelling must meet certain fire prevention requirements.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a 900 sq foot shop/garage with 3 overhead doors and 2 steel walk-in doors. There are zero windows in the building. I had no problem passing inspection. To me, windows in a shop or garage are nothing more than access points for thieves. They never get washed, so soon they become a detraction to the appearance of the building. They do not offer enough light to work by, so you have to have a good lighting system anyway.

MG

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. I should ask my neighbor - he has a fairly new garage (less than 3 years) and would likely remember if it was a requirement. I'd like to go with a solid steel clad door there with a deadbolt.

MG

Reaction score
Talked with my neighbor and he said the doors were not a sticking point at all with the inspection for his garage. I'm going with no windows. There should be a noticeable difference vs. the old door...this new one is weatherstripped well and I'll be insulating all the gaps between the studs and jamb. I hope its easier to install than those miserable split jamb buggers I used inside - those are a pain...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks