Don't use paper backed wallboard?

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by Terry, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I just saw an ad for DensArmor Plus® Interior Wallboard that is being sold by Lowes.
    So are they saying it's a "Deal Breaker" if you remodeled with their paper backed wall board?

"The moisture-resistant fiberglass mats make DensArmor Plus panels the ideal replacement for paper faced greenboard, where greenboard is still allowed by code."

http://www.gp.com/build/product.aspx?pid=4659
  2. jar546

jar546 In the Trades

Greenboard it notorious for wavey, sagging ceilings where installed and I know some contractors who refuse to use it on ceilings.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Greenboard is moisture resistant, but still is mold food. National codes no longer spec it. Regular drywall in dry areas, and CBU in wet areas are the preferred products. The real key in a damp area is climate control, most notable in proper ventillation. Good paint or wall covering is also required. Gypsum still isn't the greatest thing if it does get soaked repeatedly.
  4. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

Problem with their fiberglass mat is, you then have to skim-coat the wall.

Still, not bad for things like "flood-proof" basement renovations & such...

For bathrooms, the purple board's a bit better than the old green (or regular, for that matter).

But like jadnashua said, CBU for any wet areas. Gypsum doesn't like wet, even if it's paperless...

You can still get greenboard? Only the purple's around, here; I thought they'd stopped making the green...