Don't know what I'm looking at...

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by richrc1131, Apr 16, 2008.

1. richrc1131

richrc1131 New Member

Maybe you guys can identify what I'm looking at. I don't have a pic. Here's the story:
    • Very old house
    • Main line was clogged
    • Plumbers wanted insane amounts to dig up my front yard
    • I did it myself
    • Discovered that a vertical pipe (clay) had shattered under pressure from all of the rocks that gathered around it over the decades.
    • The last plumber that came out snaked from there to the sewer and the lines unclogged.
    • He also installed a vertical pvc pipe the extends a few inches above ground.
    What is that pipe for?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I'm assuming that vertical section has a cap on it? It is likely a cleanout. It gives easy access to the main line to clean it out rather than having to do it from inside of the house.
  3. richrc1131

richrc1131 New Member

Oh ok

That makes sense. Now wifey wants me to make it less noticeable. Yeah right. Thanks for the quick response.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Hollow landscape rock...hides all sorts of things, comes in various sizes. Depending on the brand, some are fiberglass, some plastic, some stone composite.
  5. krow

krow Plumber

Now is a good oppurtunity for you to get in gardening mode. Plant some flowers or shrubs around it
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Just make sure that a drain cleaning outfit is still able to use it!