Don't dump coffee down the kitchen sink while the disposer is being replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yeah, That's right. Dont be dumping coffee down the sink while the plumber is working underneath.
Jamie was replacing a disposer located in the kitchen of a lab in town. While he had the disposer out, and with his body in the cabinet and his legs sticking out, one of the lab techs walked over with a cup of cold coffee, straddled his legs, reached over and dumped the coffee in the sink, or I should say,

All over his shirt!

He had taken the drain off and was still under the kitchen sink, not dreaming that someone would come over and dump coffee on him.
The woman acted bothered that my son reacted to the pouring of coffee on him. I guess that's normal for her. See a sink with someone replacing a disposer, and why not dump coffee in the sink and onto him?

This is from the lab's web site.

provides full service Industrial hygiene services including testing and environmental safety services for our clients included but not limited to asbestos, lead, mold, Indoor Air Quality, Silica and other hazardous materials. We provide a complete solution and innovation to all your environmental and health & safety needs, in order to minimize your risks and overhead costs.

And no, I will not name names.
It was funny in a way. The woman was clueless.

Last edited:

Plumbersnightmare

Reaction score
Typically I would toss out a very standard misogynistic comment (#23c if memory serves) with regards to your clueless individual statement above but I'm brand new here and well don't want to get insta-banned at the moment.

However ... said clueless individuals(regardless of sex) ... are not at all rare ... they MUST think that the hole at the bottom of said sink is from the FUTURE and all materials/liquids just get instantaneously disintegrated after they pass that lip or get to a point where they can't see it!

----- Spock, set all drain lines to Disintegrate!!!!! -----

AND lucky for your son that the coffee was COLD. Hot would have been worse.

Last edited:

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Was she a Blonde ?

That is messed up, But funny.

At least she waited for the coffee to be cold, so she followed safety standards.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
After all, she is a "technician"...

It reminds me of a quote from Stephen Vizinczey. You cannot cure stupid.
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it.
In my experience, often the more educated they are the more entrenched is the stupidity.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
On a similar note, years ago we did a large restaurant and the toilets were beige wall hung which were a special order. In order to open on time we installed white toilets. When the beige ones arrived, I send my wife's uncle to install them. He was working in the lady's rest room installing one in a stall. He had piled the shipping boxes and a ladder in the door way, but suddenly he heard click, click, click, pause, click, click, click as some lady climbed over the pile to use the rest room. After she finished her task she left her stall and when she say the plumber, she gasped and asked, "What are you doing in here?" However, I never get into the cabinet when I replace a disposer.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
She had to Go Go Go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
However, I never get into the cabinet when I replace a disposer.

I believe Jamie was also replacing three shutoffs on the wall. How long are your arms?

The disposer was sitting on the kitchen floor when she walked in. Not blonde.

Yesterday I had a woman from Texas tell me that the air gap on her sink was a soap dispenser.
When I went to the truck to grab a new one to show her, she insisted that I was wrong. She had never seen one in Texas; therefore I was wrong. And they don't have them at Home Depot. One more reason she thought the plumber was wrong.

sink_dw.jpg

I even took pictures showing that "her" dishwasher was hooked up in this fashion, and she still insisted that I was wrong.
It does keep the dishwasher from filling up with dirty water from the disposer.
In Texas they may "high loop" the drain to the disposer. Here in Washington, the inspectors like to see the air gap.

It's not a male/female thing though. I spend an equal amount of time explaining basic plumbing principles to both.
And sometimes the more education they have, the harder it is to get past their preconceived notions of how "it should be"
Way too much time daydreaming of how things are, without actual experience.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
It's also that people think that they need to guard themselves against professionals trying to get over on them. Like the guy that quoted me $800 to install a Carlysle II on a normal bathroom floor in a normal bathroom. So there's something to be said for being wary, but debating principles of plumbing with America's Most Respected Plumber strikes me as pretty stupid. Especially since there was no extra cost/charge/etc. associated with the difference between a soap dispenser and an air gap.

Had she actually DRAWN soap from her "soap dispenser" in the past? I'm guessing "No." But I guess that she just thought that it was "broken".

I spent more than 8 years in Texas. Dallas County. In all three of the apartments that I occupied during that time, my sink had an air gap for the dishwasher. I wondered what it was. I looked under the sink. I followed where the hoses went. I didn't understand its exact purpose at the time, but I understood that it caused a break in the continuity of the line.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The "air gap" on her sink, was going to be removed for a filtered water faucet.
I was trying to explain that she had to leave it for the dishwasher, and that it wasn't a soap dispenser.
She does have four more holes on the sink, so she can replace the ancient faucet and separate sprayer. with a pull out spout. That would free up a hole for the filtered water tap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks