Does this plan for DWV look OK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Greenmountain

Reaction score
sorry for the sloppyness...
total diy beginner here... hoping this layout is not too far off. obviously not to scale...
I colored in the 2" pipe; the vent line is 1.5"
distance from utility sink trap to main stack is <3' so no need for vent there right?

Scan_20161213.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The laundry sink is an "S" trap, and no matter what SIZE pipe or how close to a vent, it is still illegal. The horizontal vent line has to be 42" above the floor, OR 6" above the standpipe or laundry sink, whichever dimension is HIGHER. However, not all inspectors will allow a "loop vent" unless it is absolutely the only way to vent the sink.

Greenmountain

Reaction score
ok, is this any better?

w/m standpipe trap will be about 8" above floor... (sorry that's not clear to see in drawing)
would be around 18" from standpipe to vent.

Is a 3' run ok if it runs straight to stack (no S-trap)?

replaced kit sink loop with aav...

Scan_20161214.jpg
loop vent with aav

Need more vents. Utility sink is set up as an S-Trap. Standpipe needs to be above floor and vented. Take a read through this:
http://www.co.lincoln.or.us/sites/d..._-_helpful_hints_residential_construction.pdf

Greenmountain

Reaction score
also, just to clarify... once a trap arm runs horiz at least 2x it's diam, it can then turn down, and not be an S-trap??

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are running that vent through the roof yourself, http://www.sos.state.co.us/CCR/GenerateRulePdf.do?ruleVersionId=2141 says it has to stick up 12 inches or more. Many cold areas require increasing the size for the vent before it goes through the roof.
https://law.resource.org/pub/us/code/ibr/icc.ipc.2009.pdf says
904.2 Frost closure. Where the 97.5-percent value for outside design temperature is O°F (-18°C) or less, every vent extension through a roof or wall shall be a minimum of 3 inches (76 mm) in diameter. Any increase in the size of the vent shall be made inside the structure a minimum of 1 foot (305 mm) below the roof or inside the wall.​
Some cold areas require increasing the size for the vent before it goes through the roof even more than what the underlying code calls for.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A fixture's vent cannot have waste flowing through it from another fixture. The stack is only considered a vent above the highest drain connection. You also need to calculate the size of vent that is required based on the number of drainage fixture units that are to be tied in. The sizes/ numbers can be found in the plumbing code that is applicable to your location.

Greenmountain

Reaction score
A fixture's vent cannot have waste flowing through it from another fixture. The stack is only considered a vent above the highest drain connection. You also need to calculate the size of vent that is required based on the number of drainage fixture units that are to be tied in. The sizes/ numbers can be found in the plumbing code that is applicable to your location.

I'm confused... the standpipe is dry vented as there are no fixtures above its vent connection, the sink is vented by aav, and the utility sink has no fixtures above it's connection to the stack. where is there a wet vent?

dfus
washing machine 3
kit sink 2
laundry sink 2
= 7

I found this statement, which I am not 100% sure is accurate, but if it is, I should be within tolerance for dfu and developed length for a 1.5" vent...
"Under Table UPC T7-5 an 1-1/2" vent is rated for a maximum of 8 DFU for a maximum developed length of 50'."

what am I missing?
thank you

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Some places do not permit an AAV. The codes are localized in many places, so it is good to research and talk to your area plumbing/building inspector to get their take on it.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks