Does the drain fitting unscrew from water heater body?

Users who are viewing this thread

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
I bought a Rheem Fury 65 (83VR662) electric water heater. It is installed, but now I want to add a dedicated hot water loop for the master bathroom. I have already plumbed a return line from when the batroom was remodeled. I have a Grundfos UP10 recirculation pump.

I read that it would be best to connect the hot water return line to the bottom of the water heater (rather than at the top Cold water inlet). Therefore I need to remove the water tank's drain and replace with a tee-fitting (one side to return line the other for the manual drain valve).

Does the drain fitting just unscrew? I don't want to chance breaking the drain fitting off in the tank if it is somehow welded or glued in place.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, it does unscrew. Many of us replace the OEM drain with a full flow ball valve. My recirculating system also uses this as a connection point.

water_heater_drains.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When installed at the factory, often my machine, it may be a bit tighter than you'd do by hand!

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Thanks for the dose of reality.
My WH is a year old so hopefully the drain fitting threads have not seized to the tank yet.
I'm wanting to add a hot water recirculation system - so I need to plumb-in the return line to the WH (at the bottom). I have all the parts (some of them I've had since before the WH was bought). It's just a matter of getting the job done now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks