Does running two trunklines address the problem of trunkline duct being too small

Users who are viewing this thread

roamet

Reaction score
My HVAC sub on a new build condo project ran 8 round inch trunklines for a 1.5 ton unit. The space needs about 720 CFMs which also makes me wonder if 1.5 tons is enough. When I brought this to his attention, he claims:

* yes, 8 inch is on the high side but will work.

I told him I can't imagine how this will not produce noise, strain on system and increased utility costs and that I want the trunklines changes to 12 inch.

He now claims if he splits the main trunkline into two - essentially running a T off the plenum, this will address any issues and make the 8 inch work.

Questions:

* Is this logic correct
* Even if it is correct, a 1.5 ton is essentially providing 600 CFMs which means each trunk would carry 300 and would need a 10 inch duct? (the trunklines will be split at mid point of each condo so they will servicing pretty much the same CFM needs)
* Is 1.5 ton sufficient for my calculations of 720 CFM needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks