Does regular plumber's putty stain quartz?

Users who are viewing this thread

PixieFix

Reaction score
I know it stains granite countertops but what about quartz?

I used regular plumber's putty when I installed a soap dispenser over 6 mos ago. (This was before I came across posts on different forums saying plumber's putty stained their granite/stone countertops.) My quartz countertop did not get stained.

If a stone material gets stained by plumber's putty, does that happen fairly soon (e.g., after a month) or does it take many many months (or year/years) before the stain appears? I have a new faucet to install but am also wondering if I should remove the soap dispenser and reinstall with non-staining plumber's putty.

The quartz countertop is Silestone by Cosentino, if that matters.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A resin based solid surface probably won't react like a full, natural stone would. Natural stone is rarely without minor inclusions, which can soak up the oil of some plumber's putties. The resins in the solid surface probably filled those in. No guarantees.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks