Does my rough plumbing valves and fixtures have to be the same brand?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Brena, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Brena

Brena New Member

I am building a house and the plumbers used all Kohler brand for the rough. I have been told that means I have to purchase Kohler brand toilets, sinks and faucets. Is this true? I have replaced faucets before on my existing home and I am pretty sure the valves that were installed when it was build is NOT the same brand as the faucets I picked up at Home Depot.

I want to purchase Fontaine fixtures, not Kohler. What do I do??

Help! I need to order my fixtures by tomorrow!!!
  2. I'm not a pro plumber, but my answer is "no". You should be able to come off of any brand of valve to whatever you want to install.
    Mike
  3. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

Same brand

The answer is no! get rid of the person that told you that, somebody is trying to scrxw you!
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

If you have Kohler rough-in valves for the showers and tubs, then yes, they will need Kohler trims.

Lavs and sinks don't have to match though.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

fixtures

the only thing that has to "match" is that you must have all the right parts to any single faucet. Other than that, every fixture can be from a different manufacturer and every faucet can also be a mismatch. I would not have chosen Kohler for my first faucet choice, since they are overpriced, and average quality.
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The confusion comes mainly in shower/tub areas - here many, if not most, companies sell the trim separately from the valves. Now, you can buy them packaged together, and that is the way many big box home stores sell them, but at a 'real' plumbing store, the trim and rough-in valves are usually sold separately.

So, if there are valves already in the wall in the tub, then yes, it is likely that the only trim pieces that will fit are from the same brand. Note, this has nothing to do with the shutoff valves that feed the separate valves at the sink or toilet.
  7. tub hole for overflow in Kohler tubs

i have heard that Kohler tubs have a pre-drilled hole wider than most. This makes it difficult to put some other company's overflows on them.

david