Does homeowner insurance usually cover water leaking fix(e.g. repipe or reroute)?

Users who are viewing this thread

fuji3

Reaction score
Hello,

My house recently had a water leaking issue and just let the plumber complete the fix by doing the reroute -all paid by myself.
Now my house is about to renew the home owner insurance, not sure if it worth me to consider the insurance upgrade to cover such water leaking fix in case it happened in the future? Really want to know how easy the process is to let home insurance cover the water leaking fix.
Highly appreciate anyone to share your experience or comment about this. Thank you in advanced!!

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
It depends on the policy. In my house (built in 1990) they used PB pipe. My HO insurance will not cover water damage resulting from leaks from the PB. In fact, I told my insurance agent that I was going to be replacing the PB with PEX (I'm doing it myself a little at a time), and my Insurance Agent said that the replacement had to be done by a professional plumbing company or if it (leaks) would not be covered. I can understand their concerns over DIY jobs.

Typically a HO policy would cover a leak from the water heater or a kitchen/bathroom fixture. But generally the deductible is high enough (at least in my case) that the repair would paid out of my pocket. A friend of mine had a dishwasher installed by Sears and the water line broke shortly after. His insurance paid for all repairs (including new cabinets). I'm sure his HO company went after the installer's insurance for reimbursement - but even if it was not a recent install, his HO policy would have covered the damages.

If your house is plumbed with PEX or Copper (and is relatively new) I believe most HO policies would cover any water damage from leaking pipes. If you house is old (has galvanized pipes, PB, etc,) the policy will not cover you. The Policy will say what is not covered. These Insurance companies know how to make to money and where the risks are.

Long answer to a short question. I think now that your house has been professionally re-plumbed, you are covered for any leaks under the standard policy terms. But the best way to know is to call your agent.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When it comes to underfloor leaks there is a difference between companies. Some will only cover the problem if the leak is coming through the floor into the building, while others will cover any leak. None of them, however, will cover the actual pipe repair, just getting to it and repairing things afterwards.

fuji3

Reaction score
Thank you all for your input. Actually my HO had this water leak fix insurance coverage. But when the water leak happened, I called my agent and he said most likely the process will be very complicated and not sure whether if it can be covered or not after the inspection by insurance company. So he does not recommend me to use the insurance to cover at that time . That's why when I need to renew my HO this time, this case makes me think if it worth me to continue the insurance which include the water leak fix and wanted to hear more experience or advice on this. Also I heard once you use insurance to cover water damage, when need to sell the house, it will have a record? Thanks again in advanced.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know the answers to your questions, but I know I would find a different insurance agent.
But when the water leak happened, I called my agent and he said most likely the process will be very complicated and not sure whether if it can be covered or not after the inspection by insurance company.
Isn't he saying he is lazy and ignorant?

fuji3

Reaction score
yes, now I feel the agent may just want the insurance bill get paid instead of helping the customer. BTW: my HO insurance is with Safeco- not sure how their service is cause no claim so far.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks