Does entire shower stud wall need to be pressure treated?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike Fresh

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a long time visitor, first time poster. Awesome site.

I'm re-doing my master bathroom shower. Does the entire shower stud wall need to be pressure treated (PT)?

I know the bottom plate and studs against a concrete block wall should be PT, but what about regular studs against the inside of the house?

Thanks, Mike

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, no. In fact, if you put some plastic on the bottom of the studwall on the concrete, you don't need it there. You could use some seam-seal like they put on top of the concrete wall for the rim joist. PT wood is absolutely horrible in that is twists, shrinks, and bows when it dries out. Not at all the thing you want behind a shower wall where tile are involved. A properly done shower should never introduce moisture into the framing, so if you can keep it from being in contact with a potential wet slab, you should be fine. If you have a wet slab, you've got other problems...

I'd check out the people at www.johnbridge.com for shower construction details.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You should not use pressure treated. If you get enough moisture in there to damage a stud,,,,then that is not your only problem. A shower needs to be water proof.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks