Does Building Plumbing have systems that ~flush~ the lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
OT, but curious....
For commercial buildings or even resi. buildings, are some DWV systems design/incorporated with systems in place that at whatever interval, it will flush out the lines at certain locations ?

I was a at relatives place for the holidays.
She's on the lower level of s 5-8 story building.
She has the main floor and the lower level. Long story short, one of the primary DWV systems corroded (most likely due to use of chemical cleaners ) from X, Y and Z and long term pooling, etc in this.

What a mess. Apparently the flooring on the lower level buckled, and upon examination, they found the corroded pope and the surrounding mess.

Just curious if building DWV has preventative measures in place to mitigate the possibility of caustic chemicals in their pipe systems causing similar issues as described above. Obviously this would only be of a ~modern~ build, as old buildings probably did not have the foresight to incorporate as such.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Never heard of it, not saying it might not exist. Typically, the many toilet flushes and showers, tubs, washing machines, etc. will dilute whatever may be there IF the stuff is installed properly to prevent pooling (i.e., correct slope everywhere).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have worked on old buildings where the cast lines were gone on the bottom. We broke floors and replaced the lines.
In bars the copper waste lines get holes from the acids.
I installed plumbing for photo processing that needed special treatments.

Chefwong

Reaction score
I flush my drains / right where the house/street checkvalve is.
------

OT, but we took on quote a bit of water during Irene. Installed a checkvalve after that.
On Sandy, we took on water.......upon inspection, a ~log~ was keeping the door from closing.

The laundry standpipe is approximately a 15 ft run that dumps right before the U bend that is right before the checkvalve.
When the forecast calls for heavy rain, or if it's been awhile since I've done it, I will fill the laundry sink full of water. A wild guess is 20-25 gallons.....It's a big apron style sink. Pull the stopper and let the water purge out the DWV. I'm hoping this sorta maintenance is sufficient enough to keep the door trap clear.

If it's going to call for for a 'cane of some sorts. I will pull the cover open to inspect. It's a PITA to do though, just due to how it's situated

Reach4

Reaction score
The laundry standpipe is approximately a 15 ft run that dumps right before the U bend that is right before the checkvalve.
You should not have a U bend there. Whole house traps are not good. If you are going to have a checkvalve, it would be much better if it were a normally open backwater valve. Flapper valves will fail to close before long.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Googled for images. Backwater valve looks the same as a flapper valve ?
Might has misphrased it wrong..but the system is as such

street DWV - Checkvalve- U Bend/Double Cleanout- house DWV

Reach4

Reaction score
Googled for images. Backwater valve looks the same as a flapper valve ?
You cannot tell the difference?
diagram.jpg
street DWV - Checkvalve- U Bend/Double Cleanout- house DWV

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/house-trap.804/
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/sewer-line-issue.5742/

Last edited:

Chefwong

Reaction score
I don't know if it's a code thing but the 3 shops I had come out were speced to use the latter design

CI unit - Brass flapper on it.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know if it's a code thing but the 3 shops I had come out were speced to use the latter design

CI unit - Brass flapper on it.
It could be code. Bad code.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Alot of things out here are not norm of anywhere else, AFAIK...
Some of these may be superceded but couple of examples

Right off the inside U bend/cleanout, there needs to be a vent to the outside.

Romex was not allowed forever (BX land) , but I believe it's now allowed for 2 family houses and under
Pex is still not allowed for anything but heating systems. I may be wrong in this statement as I have def. recall seeing seen some level of pex in my buddys wine bar he opened up a couple years ago

PVC conduit can only be used on 3 stories or lower

It used to be black pipe only except for the stubs to the stove, etc.
However, just recently I saw reels of CSST so maybe that's legal now too

Chefwong

Reaction score
Got some decent rain last night - potential usual situation of backwater from sewer system that can't keep up....anyhow, as usual, it's been ~working~....

Just wanted to circle back to this thread and expand. Pro's/Con's of Door always in closed position/open during regular service, versus how it operates in a back flow situation....?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks