Does anyone recognize these shower handles?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by gemgem, Jul 17, 2012.

1. gemgem

gemgem New Member

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to do some DIY cosmetic changes to my parents' bathroom. I want to change out their shower handles because they're crusty and pretty disgusting. I tried twisting and pulling on the handles with the screws off, but neither of them would budge. I don't want to pull or twist too hard because I'm afraid I'll break something in the wall. Does anyone recognize these shower handles? I figure if I had a particular part number I might be able to do a better search for solutions.

Any suggestions about how should I go about removing them without pipe breakage? (Do these particular handles pull off, twist off, etc.? Would I have any luck with Liquid Wrench?) We just don't have the budget to do major fixes should something break.

Sorry about the size of these!

handle 1.jpg handle 2.jpg handle 3.jpg handle 4.jpg

I believe they're American Standard from the 1950s or 1960s. The shower arm is an American Standard ball end type.

Thanks!
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

3. gemgem

gemgem New Member

4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

99+% is that the stems are splined and the handles match that....they will pull off.
  5. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

Kits are available to rebuild that faucet. The one available is for a tub/shower valve. But the hot and cols stems and trim will fit your faucet. Here is a link to the kit you need. It's there # RBK0033.

http://www.kissler.com/Downloads/Kits.pdf

John
  6. gemgem

gemgem New Member

Thanks guys! I'll give removal another shot. :)