Does anyone know what type of pump this is?

Users who are viewing this thread

emmalee

Reaction score
This Pump keeps running constantly at my husband's grandma's house. His cousin lives very close and goes over often to turn power off to the pump. I've been told that the pressure switch has been replaced just a few years ago. We believe the very old pump needs to be replaced. Problem is, none of us have any idea what type of pump we need to buy. There is no name, model, labels, specs...nothing. Can you tell by these pics if it is single, double, submersible? I want to know about how much this will cost. The cousin has called a pump guy to get an estimate but he wants to charge $100 just to come out...is that normal?

0208151548b.jpg 0208151548a.jpg 0208151548.jpg

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
It looks like those wires are going into the top of the well, so it would be a submersible pump.

emmalee

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking, too. Without being there and relying on someone else's pictures, it's been a little difficult for me to try to research. My husband has named me Google girl because when I don't know something, I look it up. I've accomplished a lot of diy projects this way.
Is there a way to determine things like hp or other specs? Or am I stuck calling someone?
Is a submersible going to be too difficult to replace on our own?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need a professional to come out and trouble shoot the problem. If the pump does need to be replaced, it is not a do it yourself project.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
What a terrible installation. Galvanized fittings, no PRV, no Romex connectors, the pressure switch is being used as a junction box for something else......

Pay someone to come in there and do the job the right and make it safe for your husbands grandmother

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't see the red, green, and black wires heading toward the casing (large diameter pipe coming out of the floor). What is at the other end of those wires? It looks as if maybe only the white wire goes near the casing, and it is not clear to me that the white is going into the casing.

$100 for such a visit sounds reasonable to me.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; What a terrible installation. Galvanized fittings, no PRV

What would you want him to use, PVC? If it is a galvanized system he WOULD use galvanized fittings. Why would a pump system need a PRV? The pump company probably has a minimum charge of $100.00 so that is what it would cost to check it out.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Some prefer brass over galvanized for fittings. A submersible might be capable of producing too much pressure should the switch fuse shut. If the pressure does not cause a rupture, then it could deadhead the pump causing it to fail.

If the pump will not shut off, it could be due to a leak in the drop pipe that prevents it from reaching cutoff.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Brass is better than galvanized every day of the week.

Who cares about the pump deadheading? Have you ever seen a tank blow through a house? If the nipple to the pressure switch plugged and launched the tank like a rocket, there would be major damage to the house and the occupant could be killed or injured. A functioning PRV would prevent that from happening.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Reinforces my belief that plumbers make terrible well men and well men make terrible plumbers.

quote; What a terrible installation. Galvanized fittings, no PRV

What would you want him to use, PVC? If it is a galvanized system he WOULD use galvanized fittings. Why would a pump system need a PRV? The pump company probably has a minimum charge of $100.00 so that is what it would cost to check it out.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'd rather a ruined well than a tank launching through the roof and killing grandma on the way out.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wish I had pictures but I've seen what could happen. A medium size galv. tank launched through the roof and landed about 20 ft away. I recall that it was about a 82 or 120 gallon tank and it didn't launch through the roof, it blew the whole roof off. The tank had rusted through on the very bottom and the bottom split apart and was still sitting in place.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Here is a good picture. You can just see the top of the galv tank floating out in the lake at the top of the picture. I was staying at this little place on the lake. About 2AM we hear an explosion that shook everything, but it was dark and couldn't see anything. Couple of hours later we had one flush, then no water. This is what I saw when the sun came up.
Block Well house.jpg

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
When I was a kid my father and I went on a call where the tank was laying in the front yard, it went through the floor, ceiling and through the rafters. It had been plumbed up with galvanized fittings.

A few years back one of my friendly competitors went on a call where the tank came through the kitchen floor and destroyed a set of high dollar kitchen cabinets.

Sadly, people forget about the force of volume x pressure

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I've seen them go straight through the roof as well. Just to young to think about taking a picture. Here is another one of a 15,000 gallon tank that exploded. The end blew up and knocked the transformers off the pole. The entire town was out of water and electricity for quite a while.
103_0312.JPG

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am on a role so here is another implosion. This stand pipe imploded during or after an ice storm. I assume the vent froze off and somebody flushed a toilet somewhere.
Stand pipe collapse 2 sized.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks