Does a well have to be vented?

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by Shooter45, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Shooter45

Shooter45 New Member

Our new well is not vented other than the hole where the wires go through which is open for anything to crawl through and down the well. Any suggestions? If it does not have to be vented I'll just silicone it up.
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

Without a vent the well can be under a vaccuum which can draw critters in from other places. Silion the wires but put in a vent with a screen pointed down using two elbows.
  3. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Whether or not the well would benefit from being vented depends on the well. A well casing can act as a storage reservoir and the pump may draw it down faster than the well can produce. The well can then recover between pump cycles. Sealing the top of the well could cause water to be forced at greater GPM from the bottom and could in some cases bring up sand.
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 New Member

Thanks. Bought the pipe and vented it today. Also siliconed the wires outlet.